2023.4: Custom template macros, and many more new entity dialogs!

I might chime in here, I just noticed my integration Switch Manager and Pyscript is also under the yaml reload section (I didn’t even realise till just now). The fact that my integration isn’t yaml (apart from blueprints but users config is different) and Pyscript is python, I think the naming might need a change considering the logic is looking for a reload service which might have nothing to do with yaml. Just a simple title like Configuration Reload would suffice.

1 Like

Didn’t mean to cause an argument, just though it made sense to reload it in the same place we reload templates as we are using as part of templates. No worries I’ll just use the service call…

If you’re interested in the code, it’s related to loading platforms which are yaml integrations for the most part. Seen here and below. The hurdles are that

1. There is no custom_template domain, one would need to be decided if homeassistant cannot be used.
  2. The service is already in the home assistant domain, i’m not sure if you can register more than 1 reload service with a domain. I would assume you can but I’m not 100% familiar with how HA tells the frontend to add the reload service to the frontend.
  3. There is no platform or data to reload and the main conf_util class that’s called would do nothing because the macro reloading functionality is built outside of that entire object.

Something new would have to be designed, and that new thing would most likely need to be made (or approved by) by the core team.

Not impossible, but a ton of hurdles that make it unlikely.

No arguing here, just explaining why it wasn’t done initially and why it’s a Feature Requests.

EDIT: There is an All Yaml Configuration button, perhaps the system already exists to do this.

1 Like

OK fair enough, I’ve added a shortcut button to call the service, won’t need it that often anyway

Thank you for this. Did some selective deleting and re-adding of custom frontend modules and discovered it was lovelace-paper-buttons-row which was causing the issue for me.

Made sure I had the latest version (2.1.3), but the double scroll bars were still present.

Will open an issue.

1 Like

Yes I gave that a try, but it’s not the every day command you’d like to use apparently.

It took a very long time to complete and causes many integration warnings in the log .

It doesn’t only load ‘new’, it really reloads the whole config. And maybe not too elegant at that.

Hardly the way forward for the custom templates reload currently. If it works at all, because my macros couldn’t be successfully loaded afterwards…

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s time to get rid of the YAML menu/tab under the dev tools and just call it config, then the (hopefully to be implemented) reload Jinja/macros button can live there too.

You’re miss interpreting the function behind that specific button with the existence of the button. I’m simply pointing out that this service does not follow the same paradigm all the other buttons do. It’s a service that’s not tied to an integration and it exists in that list of buttons. So the building blocks for adding reload_custom_templates to that page may already exist. That’s all I was saying.

No, well maybe… for now, I was merely reporting my experience with it… (independently from any possible future use for a reload of these custom_templates)

Right, but your experience with that button has nothing to do with a new button that would just essentially call the reload custom templates service.

One question Nick. Why is system info hidden in the corner of Repairs? I guess it deserves its own icon under Setting/System/ don’t you think?

5 Likes

With automations / screnes / adaptive lighting

How did you create your scenes? How does your automations know what colour to pick based on your mood? What’s adaptive lighting have to with any of this?

Then what’s the point of panel projects?

A lot of people, including myself, use HA as a remote monitoring and control tool for my property. Proper automation only comes second (and I find myself removing more and more automation as time goes by, while adding more remote control, monitoring and notifications). That’s a perfectly valid use of HA.

Personally I find the direction the UI goes a little weird. I’m not sure I like it. Mass market appeal by removing and hiding features is not my cup of tea. I’ll probably end up developing my own cards anyway. My mobile UI bypasses Lovelace entirely already. Modern UI designers will probably find it ugly, but it does exactly what I need and never changes.

7 Likes

Sure, I used the more-info dialog for that, but this isn’t something I do regularly so I certainly won’t complain about the new look.

Time of day / if I’ve just arrived home / day of the week.

It controls the light colour and brightness automatically so I don’t have to do anything myself through the UI. So yeah, a lot.

1 Like

Lets start with the attempt to add the synonym as an added argument when in reality, adaptive lighting goes hand in hand with automations.

I also tend to live in the dark, I actually don’t like light so I have no want to turn on every time I get home etc. So please don’t assume everyone has the same mindset and that your automations fits everyone’s needs. I use the panel version of my instance to fine tune effects colours and tone of a room or area, I at no point in the day of time or what day it is that the same colours and effects will fit my taste, its always changing. Also the argument about time of day and day of the week is not a reflection of someone’s mood.

Your arguments are very naïve and you seem to be thinking inside your box and not understanding others needs an wants as reflected by the responses of your original statement.

Furthermore if everyone is doing it wrong, then HA was wrong to add a dashboard

I think that says it all

2 Likes

My lights only come on when needed (ie: motion / it’s dark enough etc.) and the house is otherwise dark also. I’m not one of these people that have lights turn on at a particular time ‘just because’.

Either way, my original post was related to the fact that SO MANY people are complaining about something which isn’t designed to be the primary interface. It’s called ‘more-info’ for a reason, not because it’s the primary UI.

Anyway, I’m done.

2 Likes

I can respect that, and I too have triggers for motion but using the Hue Bridge because of better connectivity and what not. I still need light for when I’m in the kitchen, toilet etc but never when in the living room or other areas (but these are static generic conditions that will never reflect what I want to feel in the bedroom or living area). I just think using the term “everyone else is doing it wrong” is just going to spark an argument.

I think HA is diverse enough to fit yours, mine and others needs just that we use features differently.

I have a scene for calendar events, whether it be my kids birthday, Australia day, Christmas month, Christmas day it will auto trigger at 6am that day, it will then grab the name from the calendar event, slugify it and if it matches a scene then it activates it. The thing is, I change these after the events so it’s fresh for next year and that requires managing 6-10 WLEDs in the scene view. This becomes a lot of extra clicks x6-10 for managing their colours and effects. The more-info dialog is a tucked away feature that pops up when required, it’s just when it’s required it shouldn’t be tucking away other functionalities.

But as I said up the very top of this thread, to each their own. On the panel side of things I’ve overcome this with making my own colour picking card and using browser_mod for a popup. Unfortunately this isn’t an option in the scenes editor.

1 Like

…which became LESS-info. Period.

9 Likes

Exactly. And so it is not more-control but more-info. Exactly your statement would lead to not put big buttons there.

6 Likes