2023.5: Let's talk!

http or https in companion app as server address? 192.x.x.x, i.e. local or via ddns service?

entirely local 192,168… no ddns or other things
AND ofcause allow app to use the mic :wink: :slight_smile:
and my default browser is Chrome( not that i know whether it’s matters, depends upon how they build the APP )

My default is also chrome.

Maybe a loop hole in Android 9? :rofl:

I have everything like you do but companion app insists:

Your connection to Home Assistant is not secured using HTTPS. This causes browsers to block Home Assistant from accessing the microphone.

Visit the documentation to learn how to use a secure URL

I have the same issue with wiz lights being broken on 2023.5. Has an issue/bug been raised?

Finally got around to updating. No (new) issues. Workday was imported correctly. Whisper and Piper addons set up without hassle.

Good job. :+1:

You need to import the certificate for that key into chrome and your phone. Every browser you use to connect needs to know it can trust that site. I use android and I can import self-signed certificates I trust and then apps that visit those sites via ssl work just fine.

In other words, it’s working just fine as-is. The browser/phone just need to know that they can trust those sites, because they’re not signed by an established CA (in which case you’re told who to trust by whoever manages those lists).

1 Like

or maybe it’s a local network issue, i use ip straight through, access HA through ip, all other laptop/pc devices to. no need for name resolving local

im not sure where you see that "

Your connection to Home Assistant is not secured using HTTPS

Companion app when I open Assist

One question.
If I watch the release party. It seems like odroid would be a better choice then rpi4. As it is capable of text rendering real-time.
Now I have the ha-yellow which works perfectly.
But is there someway to powerboost the yellow. So piper and whisper can handle requests in real-time.
I’m not planning on retiring a system I have running for only a few months.

I Stand corrected !!!, apparently they broke it ! , it use to work(on 2023.4.6), but with 2023.5.2 it doesn’t work on my phone either( i first tested my phone on my “production” thats why it worked :slight_smile: ) … I guess soon one have to run https all over( HA + APP ), wonder how that gonna affect on other attached devices :frowning:

EDIT: The total weird thing is, now it doesn’t even work in EDGE, spite i have “added” settings there

I hope they will either fix it, or make this feature “Optional” (best choice in my opinion), and other “features” for that matter, the past year HA has become more resource craving, slow loading(reboot) , i hope we’re not going towards a “Microsoft” approach “All or Nothing” … i actually , few years ago, got the impression that HA was a system build on “modular” design (which should indicate , Optional choices) , now it seems like this “add-on” Assist-Icon, just will irritate most people, as they can’t or wont use it

We’re all guilty of classic hype cycle behaviour when the excitement of getting something new working for the first time overcomes the experience of the all previous things that needed several bug-fix releases and a later re-work after finding enlightenment from real experience.

As you suggest, a x.0 release in FOSS comes with an expectation of issues and a responsibility to help the creators improve the x.1 release with constructive feedback. If it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces!

Personally, I started with a Mycroft Mark I, and wrote voice triggers for useful stuff in openHAB.

Why look at a clock :mantelpiece_clock:, when you can ask a cute robot! :robot:
Err, because it’s 05:05, voice takes a minute, voice disturbs the room, whereas a glance at an auto-dimming screen takes seconds, even without glasses. Mycroft was replaced by a Z-Wave button and a Google Nest Hub 2 (HASS ChromeCast display).

Voice is still really exciting, can be very inclusive, and works well for unscoped hands-free interfaces where twenty buttons would otherwise be needed. Given the implosion of the Mycroft Mark II crowdfunders, it is great that NabuCasa is picking up the baton for FOSS voice.

And you’re right - this is home automation - if you need to regularly ask for a light to be turned on, you’re doing it wrong. Add sensors to anticipate and automate!

MisterHouse was better back in the day than my own code, HASS is great today - but overall, contributing to a FOSS community is what makes stuff great. Working together

4 Likes

Home Assistant since 2023.5 became cloud-only? I hope it happened accidentaly. mobile_app integration didn’t load because of it requires cloud component now, I don’t use default_config (and cloud component)
from homeassistant.components import cloud, notify as hass_notify
I removed relevant parts from init.py, http_api.py and webhook.py and it looks now working for me.
Please consider to make cloud dependency optional, I really don’t want to use cloud and hopefully I’m not alone.
Thanks

3 Likes

As am I. I want to go back as soon as someone figures out a way to migrate the MariaDB data back.

2 Likes

Hmm, nothing has changed in the mobile_app component, but in 2023.4.6 it worked normally without cloud component and currently not

Here is part of my log; mobile_app component requires cloud enabled.?

Logger: homeassistant.loader
Source: deps/lib/python3.11/site-packages/webrtcvad.py:8
First occurred: 22:17:57 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 22:17:57

Unexpected exception importing component homeassistant.components.mobile_app
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/homeassistant/loader.py", line 813, in get_component
    ComponentProtocol, importlib.import_module(self.pkg_path)
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1206, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1178, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1149, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 690, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 940, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/homeassistant/components/mobile_app/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    from homeassistant.components import cloud, notify as hass_notify
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/homeassistant/components/cloud/__init__.py", line 36, in <module>
    from . import account_link, http_api
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/homeassistant/components/cloud/http_api.py", line 19, in <module>
    from homeassistant.components import assist_pipeline, conversation, websocket_api
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/homeassistant/components/assist_pipeline/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
    from .websocket_api import async_register_websocket_api
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/homeassistant/components/assist_pipeline/websocket_api.py", line 30, in <module>
    from .vad import VoiceCommandSegmenter
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/homeassistant/components/assist_pipeline/vad.py", line 4, in <module>
    import webrtcvad
  File "/var/lib/ha/.homeassistant/deps/lib/python3.11/site-packages/webrtcvad.py", line 8, in <module>
    __version__ = pkg_resources.get_distribution('webrtcvad').version
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 478, in get_distribution
    dist = get_provider(dist)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 354, in get_provider
    return working_set.find(moduleOrReq) or require(str(moduleOrReq))[0]
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 909, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/lib/ha/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 795, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'webrtcvad' distribution was not found and is required by the application

Even worse than that. After updating to core 2023.5.2 I now get the following error message in Voice Assistants [TRANSLATION ERROR: MISSING_OTHER_CLAUSE] Major headache cause I can not add entities to expose anymore!

Hi.
you are wrong here… you do not need any Add-On to handle certificates.
I’m running HA in a Python venv with LetsEncrypt wildcard certificates for a server in a sub-domain of a domain I own.
Assume example.com is my domain, my local network has DNS-Server configured for the zone home.example.com and all devices are configured to use a hostname in this domain, my production HA for example as smarthome.home.example.com
I’m creating a wildcard certificate for *.home.example.com and install that on all my internal servers.
None of my internal servers is exposed to the internet, with the exception of a VPN-Service. External Access is only allowed with VPN.
It takes a bit of manual work every 3 months to update/recreate the wildcard certificate, as my domain provider does not have an API to add the _acme_challege-TXT-Records into the DNS-Server for domain validation in LetsEncrypt.

But… no DDNS or any other AddOn required to have a valid certificate.

And which domain would a purely local server register? No domain, no certificate?

All I am saying is:
please someone offer a stock ssl support without owning a domain or using a DDNS service or cloud service/Nabu Casa.
SSL for local servers.

Even your local server needs a FQDN, choose something … you can’t create a certificate for the IP or just a hostname.
Next create your own Root-CA and use this Root-CA to sign a certificate signing request (CSR) for your server certificate (with your FQDN for the server as subject)
Then import the Root-CA as trusted CA into your browser and/or your phone ( on Android in “Security and Privacy” / “Other security settings” / “Install from device storage”

Configure HA to use the Certificate ( not the Root-CA!) you created.
On Requests the server returns the certificate you configured and the client trusts it because it trusts the CA you used for signing.

I believe this explains a bit more, but I didn’t write this page and did not verify what they write.

Armin

I followed a very similar instruction (posted in this thread already) but it will not be a certificate that is trusted out of the box, i.e. every client will need to manually add the certificate as trusted. Quite a pain and not even sure if Companion App will accept it if I add it to Chrome or if it needs to be system wide.

Don’t you think this is a “far-out” task for a builtin-feature, in a system which they recently started to work towards user-friendly easy to setup-system