2024.10: Heading in the right direction

I used the old badges. I now use the new ones. They’re working out OK. In some ways better, in others not.

The problem I saw was the way they were “sprung” on users. It was a pretty dramatic change, and at first there were limited customization options. For example, no way to disable showing an icon. This made it impossible to consider them a direct replacement for the old style. That was, frankly, a bad design decision. If I display a temperature sensor, which shows a number, the “degrees” symbol and either C or F, I don’t need a little picture of a thermometer to be able to tell that’s a temperature. And, at first, there was no clear way to retain the old style badges while figuring out how to work the style one into our design.

Those issues were eventually resolved. But the idea that a change like this could be forced on users who wanted to update, in an incomplete state and with little documentation, was the real problem.

Especially when there are hundreds of FRs on this forum, full of changes that users actually want.

3 Likes

Same for me. No update of switches in 2024.10.1

Thanks a mil.

How did you figure it out or found the solution? I couldn’t figure it out from my logs.

From one side, as it was already mentioned, people more report their negative observations than expressing their love in a technical thread.
From other side, majority of users use default settings and do not use complex customizations: partly because they do not know about such possible customizations, partly because they do not have advanced skills. So, majority of users have nothing to report. Contrary, users with advanced skills may experience lack of smth and report their observations.

It is true that there’s a bias when it comes to online feedback, but in this case many people have been quite specific with the challenges they now face – it’s not all just ranting.

1 Like

Dumb luck mostly.

I saw the file not found error and assumed that uv wasn’t installed to start. From the venv tried uv, that worked, so thought maybe there was something with the way it was called. Modified util/package.py to log the arguments it was called with, then ran uv with the same arguments from the command line, that worked. I then thought maybe it was an issue with how Popen was calling uv, so I pulled that out and ran it from the python shell in the venv and that worked. At that point I went back to util/package.py and added logging for the path environment variable and then compared that to the one in the venv python shell and noticed they didn’t match. From there it was just finding the systemd docs and adding the proper path.

1 Like

For some reason this update is causing a memory leak. Needed to downgrade in order to stop it from crashing.

No not the upgrade itself, it is probably one of your integrations that is causing this. I guess as @Nerdix (below) it’s your Alexa Media integration.

Alexa Media Player? If you scroll up this thread you find a lot of people having trouble with it…

I’m a big fan of Home Assistant and very appreciative of all the folks who work on it to make it so great and to become even better over time.

But the superlatives for every item in every new release are silly. Raving about how amazing every little tiny change is makes it difficult to identify which ones are actually significant.

But the purple prose doesn’t reduce my appreciation of Home Assistant and its team. I just mentally remove all the adjectives when reading the release notes to make my own evaluations on what changes are important to my setup.

2 Likes