2024.4: Organize all the things!

seems the entity_id is a bit too close to the label (or vice versa)

Really love this release! Havenā€™t read all the comments, but after using it for about an hour I immediately miss categories for the Labels view (I have only started labelling my automations and Iā€™m already up to ~10 labels) as it quickly becomes limiting to only be able to sort them by name.

Also the sorting by floors in the Areas view is counter intuitive I think. I have a one floor apartment but thought I could make a floor for the basement in our multi family house, since I have an area for the garage (to keep entities for my bikes and car, and related automations). I had my apartment floor as level 0, and the basement as level -1. But then the basement is put on top. Makes sense in regular lists, since you usually start with 0 and go up in numbers but down in the list. But with floors it makes more sense to have the sorting the other way around, since the first floor is below the second floor in the visualization of the home, if that makes sense. So that the listing mimics the order the floors come in real life. I fixed this for now by making the basement Level 1 instead, but that really is not a good way to go.

Edit:
Also when Iā€™m on a big screen it makes no sense to only show my first two labels on the automations view, and then a +1-label. If there is space I would like to see all labels.

8 Likes

How do you see/change the download directory in UI? I donā€™t see any option for that. I see the integration created automatically because I had it in configuration.yaml, but no option/button/menu to change the directory.

with all changes to the Areas view, a lot of ā€˜editā€™ tools clutter has crept into the regular view. It is a bit overwhelming to be confronted with all of that, when only checking some areas, not necessarily wanting to edit at all

Somehow, I wished an ā€˜Editā€™ button would be added and only when that where clicked, all pencils and 3-dots, and the 2 buttons were shown.

Compare the UI editor for views. Click the top right menu for edit mode, otherwise just enjoy the view

Hi,
I labelled all my battery-meters with the appropriate label. Now Iā€™d like to have a history-graph with all those values, and the graph updated whenever I add a device and label the battery. But I can only select Entities.

Is is planned to also have label-selectors in such places, or is my hope futile?

thanks
simon

edit: same goes for Glance card, for example

1 Like

Is anyone missing the device_tracker.see service after this update?

The error didnā€™t go away with a refresh nor a reboot. This is the yaml of that page

strategy:
  type: map

Awesome! I really like all the improved organizational stuff!

Thereā€™s one thing left to wish for: Iā€™d like to have a view where I can group different things. Let me explain: when I create an automation, it also involves one or more entities. Sometimes a helper is needed too. It would be great to be able to view all related things together. Maybe this could be done automatically, like we already have the ā€œused inā€ panel on the entity page. But I would already be happy if I needed to add labels or categories to group things manually.

2 Likes

What do yo mean?
I still see it.

Thatā€™s exactly what labels are for. Filter by your label after assigning multiple entities to it.

1 Like

I upgraded the HA and all of my SNMP sensors and switches have stopped working. Why might this be?

Yea, I noticed this too. Now there is a more chance that you can disable automation accidentally I think.

yea mine is gone - I reverted back to last month and it came back. Weird.

That would give me only the entities. What I mean is, that Iā€™d like to have one view where I see the automation, the entities, the helpers and maybe some other things that are involved. Itā€™s currently not possible to have different types of things in a single view, as far as Iā€™m aware.

1 Like

Hope one day weā€™ll see descriptions for labels.
Json has an attribute, UI does not; description could be shown in a tooltip:

Discussion

1 Like

No thatā€™s not possible at the moment, but it could definitely go in the labels tab. You should probably create a Feature Requests for that.

maybe you can use the new feature of auto-entities, that now supports labels?

Section view is amazing, and Iā€™m nearly ready to replace Hadashboard! The only thing itā€™s missing for me is the ability to span a single entity across multiple columns.

3 Likes

" Another new dashboard for this release is the webpage!"

oh wow! This is amazing. Have a use case just for this!

Excellent release.

After now have 2024.4.0 installed, can you point me to the how to bulk assign areas?

Most probably I cannot see the tree in the woods. I can only find build labels, but not areas, as I asked for.