2024.6: Dipping our toes in the world of AI using LLMs šŸ¤–

well, not to have GrizzlyAK feel left out: I tried to configure the new Api (already in the Beta cycle I believe) and got to the CC action, and politely declined. I too find subscriptions to a free service requiring a CC bad practice, and yes, it should imho raise eyebrows.

I deleted OWM integration after that (after all I only used it for certain sensors, not the full set. For which I found alternatives)

I found his remark not raising a conspiracy at all, and I find it to the point of this release, because it was induced by it.
Not blaming HA at all here, itā€™s all in the ballpark of OWM. Kudos to HA for mentioning the Api change, and to the code owner for keeping it available to those who need it.

But, for me, the question was a relevant one, and one raising awareness.

3 Likes

Fear mongering.

Credit card hacking is like aircraft crashes. They are news because they are rare. Consider the millions of businesses making billions of credit card transactions every day.

Data from Capital One:

On a global scale, total credit card transactions were an estimated 724 billion in 2023. This translates to:

*1.98 billion per day

• 82.6 million per hour
  • 1.34 million per minute
  • 22,950 per second

When one company is hacked compromising credit card data for a million or so customers is big news precisely because it rarely occurs. Besides, credit card companies will reverse any fraudulent charges on your card.

What scares me is the lack of security in the SWIFT banking system.

1 Like

Itā€™s quite the opposite. They are so common, banks and financial companies (like visa) developed a lot of complicated processes to deal with it, and they employ a lot of people working just on that. The reason you donā€™t know about this is because, in typical cases, the risk and cost is on the bank and sellerā€™s side.

1 Like

A report from Cybernews in 2022 indicates that hackers were able to steal 167,000 credit card numbers. In 2022 there were 1.19 billion credit cards. That is 0.000014%. Yes, it is rare.

I donā€™t really want to delve deeper into this offtopic here, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s beneficial for others. But I think you misunderstood that report. I guess you just googled it. If you read the first sentence of that news article, it states those 167k CCs were stolen with a very specific malware, through just 212 point of sale devices. Thereā€™s no claim thatā€™s a total number of stolen CCs over a year worldwide (or even just in one country). In fact, on the same website you can find information about almost 2 million CCs leaked on some criminal marketplace.

2 Likes

OK, 0.105%. Still a small number.
Besides, the credit card company is at risk, not the end user.
The bottom line is that you are risking little using a credit card online for something like OWS, or Nabu Casa.

So you use ai to turn on lights or or their status?ā€™
What other things can you do?

Not everyone uses HA for privacy. I left SmartThings because I did not want to be subject to their crappy new infrastructure or whims. I wanted a robust home automation platform that was open. Having a local LLM would be nice mainly because it would be tailored to me but I am not against a cloud service or a hybrid.

3 Likes

I just updated today and Iā€™m having issues with Alexa. I used to be able to call a service to notify an Alexa device with a text to speech message but now it doesnā€™t work

And what kind of issues? I am experiencing it not loading after a restart. When started and reloading the integration works again.
I tried removing to ensure there is no misconfiguration. Unfortunately adding it back seems difficult (probably not using correct credentials), so have to look at it a bit more. Iā€™m not using the integration as much as Iā€™d like to so didnā€™t notice sooner.

I got it to work. Just needed to reload the integration

Perhaps check these toggles to be sure?

Using the three dots at the top-right in browser

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 09.41.57

HA 2024.6.3
macOS / FireFox

Thanks for the suggestion, however, Iā€™ve tried all these toggles/selectors.

Itā€™s not that, and itā€™s not browser dependent either.
Only browser I can see these entities reliably robust in is the iOS companion app.

Anything on my Desktop (Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox), including the HA desktop app, wonā€™t show these entities.

Opening the Inspector and checking the local storage indicates the system want storage write all these selections in the cache, but this is so consuming, it doesnt finish, or gets into a loop or so. takes a while to navigate away tooā€¦)

Itā€™s a bug and not yet recognized as such really. Might be because of some yet unknown reason, but running in safe mode results in the same, so at least weā€™re positive its core onlyā€¦

I am not alone, fortunatelyā€¦, but really wish this could get some traction

Iā€™m struggling to debug the AI conversation agents. Is there anyway to see the intents, services and scripts that they call?

OpenAI have just released GPT 4o mini (gpt-4o-mini) which they say is cheaper and better than GPT 3.5 turbo. It may be worth trying for those that feel 4o is too expensive, and 3.5 too unreliable.
https://openai.com/index/gpt-4o-mini-advancing-cost-efficient-intelligence/

Who is using ai in ha?
The ā€˜bestā€™ answer I got. ā€˜i can say now ā€˜ā€˜itā€™s darkā€™ā€™ , and the ha turns on the lights.ā€™ā€™
But maybe , the roller shutters were down?
Anyway, it looks like people are creating problem, in order to use a solution.
I still donā€™t see,at the moment, any reason to use ai in ha. When itā€™s too dark, I tell Google assistant to turn on the lights or open the roller shuttersā€¦
When I work at home, I start the ā€˜work at homeā€™ routine,Which opens roller shutters,turns on lights, starts playing music on the nest miniā€¦
In IT, thereā€™s a principle: KISS, keep it simple and stupid. The setup of ai in ha,makes it cumbersome, complicated, difficult to maintain,ā€¦
Or do you guys have use ai in a way I canā€™t without it?

1 Like

Itā€™s an interesting point. However I remember that when I first got a google home about 8 years ago, I had to ā€˜trainā€™ myself to speak how it expected me to. Now we speak that language its hard to see the value. Watch someone interact with a voice assistant for the first time and youā€™ll see what I mean.

I personally use the fallback conversation HACS, (a planned feature in core). I use simple sentences for simple queries that are answered without LLMs. But I also want it to be able to tell me about the world, define words, offer translations, suggest recipes and so on.

Also there is something so much more cathartic about saying ā€œThe bathroom fan is annoying meā€ than ā€œTurn off the bathroom fanā€.

Also itā€™s nice to be able to chain commands - ā€œTurn off the lights in the kitchen and living room, but leave a lamp onā€

1 Like

I like the new media player commands! But can somebody tell me which command should used for ā€œresumeā€ in german?

I tried commands like ā€œabspielenā€ or " Wiedergabe" but they did not work. Currently only way to resume music is to push the play button again.

according to this intents/sentences/de/media_player_HassMediaUnpause.yaml at 5009e2d8c7ec87bfeedcb1f19daf07e87c017119 Ā· home-assistant/intents Ā· GitHub itā€™s ā€œfortsetzenā€ or ā€œweiterā€

1 Like

ā€˜The fan is annoying meā€™ā€¦ I would just say ā€˜turn off fanā€™
What if you say ā€˜itā€™s too hotā€™. Is ai going to turn on the fan? Or turning down the heating? Or both?
Iā€™ll install ai , if I find a good reasonā€¦ but for now, I donā€™t feel the need. But who knows ā€¦