24hr format instead of AM/PM in Europe

It’s fixed in 0.115

2 Likes

@petro Thanks for the followup. By “fixed” you mean “settable”? I looked in the docs but did not see anything regarding the hour format.

I had to change my language do English Canadian to see the 24hours format (this is a hack, though)

1 Like

0.115 has the changes so the docs don’t have it until 0.115 is released in 2 weeks. Go check out the wth that sparked the fix, there’s a pr that describes the changes.

Super, thanks for the information.

Go check out the wth that sparked the fix, there’s a pr that describes the changes.

Please could someone translate this into English? wth? spark a fix? a pr? I really have no clue where to look…

1 Like

It was the month of wth.

Turn of phrase: Something that motivated another to perform a fix to home assistant.

A fix to home assistant, a Pull Request (PR) on github.

Maybe I really don’t get it. I like my English user interface. But with 24h time format, (weeks start on Monday and the first week of a year is the week having 4 jan in it and dates written like dd-mm-yyy or yyyy-mm-dd decimal point and comma for thousands separator.) I don’t understand the “fix”. Where can I set globally these preferences to overrule all the settings other people or frontends might think I would like. Which are apparently faulty guesses as you can see by my European preferences…

2 Likes

For now, you can’t. The time format is fixed, the calendar is still using sunday as first day of the week.

I’t is really strange that after more than 2.5 years conversation there’s a reply with “It’s fixed in 0.115”. And all I understand that there is nothing globally fixed. The topic is 24hr format instead of AM/PM in Europe". I read the whole thread from beginning to end. I am a front-end and backend developer (other languages/tools) and I understand that this can be a really difficult thing to fix. But what I don’t understand is there is nowhere (at least in this thread) a constructive discussion on how to fix this to satisfy everybody’s need/wishes. In my opinion it can at least have a simple start by adding these options to a users preferences. A simple “auto” on/off toggle with when auto=off a bunch of settings to address the local preferences for the user. Default is auto=on and there is no change in the UI whatsoever. When these preferences are known/settable the user-interface can be (bit by bit, small steps) changed to obey these preferences.

The simple fact that a user not always is in control of his/her UI/language/settings (or has different devices with different settings) is the most clear explanation to why this wish is so important to everyone. Or the fact that a users OS is in local language and want to see this UI in English. I know this all has been said before but I would like to see a constructive solution initiated instead of a discussion ongoing for ever…

I hate it when I go to a website (for example Debian, one of the most annoying examples) and the browser gives me pages translated to my own language without an obvious way to change it (and keep my preference). The translation is often poor, strange or incomplete and that does not help searching for fixes or and during a help/support session. Please let the user choose. LET THERE BE FREE CHOICE. :smiley:

Maybe there is a conversation somewhere else discussing this locality-issue. Please point me where! I really would like to add my 2ct there.

8 Likes

I believe the WTH thread Petro linked to is the “best” thread regarding this topic as far as I have seen in this forum.

But what I don’t understand is there is nowhere (at least in this thread) a constructive discussion on how to fix this to satisfy everybody’s need/wishes.

Yep. But thats mainly because this is a user forum and not a developer forum.

Unfortunately, these people tend to be like that. You have to constantly remind yourself that all you’re seeing here is not representative for the development of the project but rather just how forums on the internet are.

If you set your profile to ‘English UK’, in 0.115.x you will finally get 24hr format consistently in HA. The other localization options are not there, and we can only hope one day there will be there.

8 Likes

The sad thing is that the calendar is a relatively new feature. And yet - the calendar always starts the weeks on Sundays. But the real world is diverse and actually few countries start weeks on Sundays. It is actually more common to see weeks starting on Mondays or even Saturdays. These things should be configurable.
It was a huge step forward when I could choose UK English in Home Assistant and see my dates in a proper format and time in 24 hour format. Thank you for that to those that fixed that.

1 Like

I replied to @WoJWoJ not the entire thread and the fix should have fixed his issue. :wink:

Ok, thanksalot for the explanations. I’m reading further. I see all kinds of threads regarding “locale” settings. The thing is every user has it’s personal preferences. At this moment it’s not important for me weeks starting on a wrong day (because it is wrong only based on location, or where you were born) because I don’t use the calendar that much. Maybe it will become more annoying later. At this moment there are:

• weeknumer (ISO/EU vs America) (week 1 = week with 1 jan or 4 jan)
  • week-start-with sa-su-mo
  • 24h/12h clock
  • dates written like Americans do mm/dd/yyyy or most of Europe dd/mm/yyyy or dd.mm.yyyy (I for myself like ISO notation yyyy-mm-dd because it sorts nicely text-wise) and I always use a preceding zero…
  • temperature ( C / F )
  • distance Meters / Miles
  • numbers: 1.000.000,00 or 1,000,000.00 or 1 000 000.00
  • everything I forgot…

All the combinations of al strange settings are prefered by al kinds of different users. There is no one setting that fits everyone. The “locale” tried to overcome this, but it’s a pain-in-the-a. It’s not helping because it’s hard setting. It is NOT changeable by the user. There is no such locale that suits my preferences.

So my question, where can I join the develop-team to give it a go…

7 Likes

github, where I linked the last PR

1 Like

Hi,
I’m really glad the 24h clock issue is now fixed most of the places.
However I just found one minor annoyance where it was probably forgotten:
When clicking an input_datetime helper:
time-error

Yep, can you please write this up on github as an issue?

I experienced the same issue until I performed the magical “refresh browser cache”. After that all times were in 24 hour format :smiley:

Even for input_datetime details? I tried refreshing, and even another browser.
I will check tomorrow if anyone have reported it as an issue, and I will do it if not.