2gig-dw10 + sdr

Hello Automators!

My house was setup to use Vivint (alarm.com reseller) and all their “z-wave” gear has nicely ported over. However, their door / window sensors are 2GIG-DW10’s are RF. So, I found this guide (Honeywell 5800 series 345Mhz door and window sensor integration with HA) and picked up an SDR USB adapter, to see if I can pick up any signals from the sensors…it doesn’t seem to be finding anything, and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting the 2GIG-DW10 sensors to work with HASS?

Chris

1 Like

Okay, so it looks like the SDR is getting the data packets from the sensors (I can see them in “raw” mode) however, looks like rtl_433 doesn’t have the necessary “drivers” (?) to decode the packets. Sadly, it’s too low level hardware engineering for me. So, I’ll mark this a “resolved”, but the reality is that there is nothing that would support the 2GIG-DW10 door/window sensor.

1 Like

Hi. I’m also trying to decode 2gig door sensors. What band where you using the get the data. I’m not even seeing the signal using rtl_433.

I never got it to work. If you put the SDR in debug mode you can see the data (345Mhz) however, there is no way to decode the data currently, so it didn’t do any good. In the end, I replaced all the 2GIG with 5800MINI Wireless Door/Window Contact by Honeywell and they work great (still trying to figure out a way to get a low battery alert).

https://www.amazon.com/5800MINI-Wireless-Window-Contact-Honeywell/dp/B01LYOAECP/

I hope that helps.

Chris

did you make any progress?

i have a bunch of packets captured and am playing with it now to try and figure out how to best get data from them.

Last night it was working great in rtl_433 with -a -t but today its giving me a too many pulses detected error. nothing changed then to now. not sure whats up with that.

Nop. No progress at all. I’ve decided to remove them and replace them with xiaomi smart home sensors

In looking at data for a honeywell the waveform for these are completely different. Just because they both work on the 2gig panels and at 345 folks guessed they were close to the same. It doesnt seem that way at all to me.

This thread is a year and a half old but, I have spent a few months working on the 2GIG door, window CO, smoke etc sensors. I now know how to decode the sensor transmissions.
I have actually spent most of the time trying to figure out what to do with what I know. I have a GNURadio flowgraph that captures the signal and sends it to a file. I also wrote a little Python program to process the file and pull out the messages.
Actually I did most of that is a few weeks. Since then I have been trying to figure out what the frig to do with the results. I have messed with rtl_sdr, SDRSharp, Soapy, PothosSDR and a few others. After all those months I came back here and see all these solutions for the Honeywell sensors. They are so similar it should be a slam dunk but I guess I’m too dense.
I should say (with embarrassment) that although I have been coding for over 50 years I have managed to not use C. I have done mostly assembly language with a little Java, Visual Basic, Forth…who knows what else? But no C (yet…it is time).

So, if there is still any interest, I am happy to share what I have. But I hope others can help walk me through the process of using it.

Thanks,
Pete

Do you want to get the sensor information into HA?

I would use your python script that decodes the sensor file to also set the state a sensor in HA through the API.

https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/external_api_rest_python.html

My problems are:
(1) I want to run continuously where as now I create a file with GNURadio which the Python program processes.
(2) The file is created with GNURadio which takes a lot of resources. I think something like rtl_433 might work but the flowgraph includes a FIR filter. I don’t know if rtl_433 has the ability to filter.

I have vivint 2GIG sensors too, I do know C :slight_smile: But I am an SDR newbie that received his SDR dongle today (just listened to FM, yay).
I got the dongle to start listening for 2Gig in order to figure out if e.g. the garage door is open …

I have been attempting to use this HoneywellSecurityMQTT, and it does seem to detect sensors, but I can’t get them to respond correctly when opened or shut. Seems close, but needs some tweaking by someone that knows SDR stuff

I’m using the same. Sensors that are super close are reliable, but venture out 5-10m and too unreliable to rely on. Anyone come across anything else that could be used to repurpose 2GIG or Honeywell 345MHz sensors?

The 2GIG-DW10 sensors work with Vera. If you have a Vera controller, you can use the Vera integration with HA. I was a Vera Secure user prior to switching over to HA. I have all of my Z-wave stuff moved over to HA. I can’t move these because as this post describes, they are RF 345 mHz instead of actual z-wave. So, I am using my Vera Secure solely for the sensor status as I like the form factor and I have about 20 of them and don’t feel like replacing them.

The rtl_433 with MQTT auto discovery project supports the dw10 in its list of supported protocols.

For more Vivint support, you can also look at HoneywellSecurityMQTT but it doesn’t look like it’s packaged as an addon. Although someone in that thread did make a Docker version.