30-40A Z-Wave Smart Switch for EV Charger Control?

Can anyone with Heavy Duty 40A Z-Wave switches comment on pros/cons from their experience with them in Home Assistant?

Specifically, I’m looking between the GE / Jasco 40A Indoor/Outdoor Switch 14285 and the AEOTEC Heavy Duty Smart Switch.

I’ve got a 30A circuit with 10AWG wires connected to an older EV Charger (EVSE) that still works fine, except the charger lacks any smart features like on/off or power reporting. Upgrading the circuit and wires would require too much damage to my finished basement and cost more than it’s worth since I already have another EVSE. So, I’m looking to intercept the EVSE connection with either the JASCO or AEOTEC smart switches so that I can automate when charging can happen, track consumption, and remotely control.

From the research I’ve done so far, the JASCO looks like it has a superior build quality due to the case and accessible switch without a screwdriver. But the AEOTEC is reported to have better Z-Wave coverage.

Has anyone had any luck with either they can share? How reliable is the energy monitoring for either unit? Would you recommend one over the other? And are there any gotchas I should be aware of for intercepting my current wiring?

I have both Jasco and Aoetec devices but not those. Aoetec typically has better zwave functionality and more configurability. On the other hand GE/Jasco has been building electrical devices for a long time, so I’d expect a very solid relay and less likelihood of electrical hazard.

Yeah, I have both in my network as well. However, dealing with up to 40A makes it a bit more worrisome…I just don’t want to have it burn my house down or something…ya know?

Definitely leaning towards the GE/Jasco due to the build quality and instructions (e.g. actually provides the torque setting for securing the connections). Agree with your assessment in terms of build quality reputation.

I ended up installing the GE/Jasco unit and have been impressed with the build quality and reliability.

Only complaint for an EVSE is that the energy consumption reporting only can be adjusted from 5-60 minutes, so you may have to wait up to 5 minute to see energy consumption information in Home Assistant from the device itself.

If there’s room in the box consider adding a CT sensor around one of the 220v legs, this will give you real time current readings. I have these on well pumps and hvac. CR Magnetics makes some good quality ones that are in a small form factor.

You don’t need a 40A switch to control the EV charging circuit, in fact that’s likely to trigger errors in your charging from time to time which may make your car generate fault codes. This is because a J1772 charging circuit expects the trigger / release button to be pressed, thus breaking the smaller Control Pilot circuit (12V only) and terminating the charging session in a “clean” way.

Therefore, you can use any smaller size dry-contact relay to control the Control Pilot signal without investing in a big beefy unit. You’ll just need a competent sparky who understands the basics of charging to modify your EVSE.

The downside of this approach is that you won’t get the consumption information - if that’s important to you, I use and recommend the Aeotec Heavy Duty switch.

If you want to control the switch without a screwdriver, drill a 1.5mm hole through the case (yes you’re eating into its IP rating but it should never be subjected to strong water flows anyway) and you can press it with a SIM card tool or paperclip.