500 server error on new Raspberry Pi install Updating image ghcr.io

I have used the Raspberry Pi Imager Application and installed Home Assistant on both a Raspberry Pi 5 and Raspberry Pi 4.

Version: 12.1 & 12.3 on the Raspberry Pi 5
Version: 12.3 on the Raspberry Pi 4

Both boot up fine until:
[supervisor.docker.interface] Can’t install ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2024.5.4: 500 Server Error for …
fromImage=ghcr.io%2Fhome-assistant%2Fraspberrypi4-64-homeassistant&platform=linux%2Farm64: Internal Server Error (“Get … request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)”)

Had to slightly edit the message because of the community limitations on links in a post
The Raspberry Pi 5 installs fail on an almost identical line

At this point, the OS keeps looping on this line and never gets any farther.

Can anyone help?

They need a connection to the internet.

net info:

• connected: true
    enabled: true
    interface: end0
    ipv4:
    addresses:
    • 192.168.41.6/24
      gateway: 192.168.41.250
      method: auto
      nameservers:
      ready: true
      ipv6:
      addresses:
    • fe00::531f:4524:a20:acbc/64
      gateway: null
      method: auto
      nameservers:
      ready: false

It looks like it should have internet, unless it needs ipv6

No name servers, so it does not know how to find ghcr.io

if there is a monitor and keyboard connected, enter this at the console:

ha dns options --servers dns://1.1.1.1
ha dns restart

Still happening

dns info
fallback: true
host: 172.30.32.3
llmnr: true
locals:

• dns://192.168.41.250
    mdns: true
    servers:
  • dns://1.1.1.1
    update_avaiilable: false
    version: 2024.04.0
    version_latest: 2024.04.0

When I had installed 12.1 on the Pi 5, it did see that there was a 12.3 update (which suggests that there is at least some connectivity) I think the dns and internet connection are working, but maybe not. It is definitely connected to my router which is definitely connected to the internet.

I do appreciate the attempts to help. Just frustrating to not even be able to start up home assistant

Assuming this is a connection/dns issue, how do I debug this on the PI? I have access to the console, but it is an unfamiliar environment for me? Is there a way to pull up a bash shell from the console?

login

and then

docker pull ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2024.5.4

As @francisp mentions, this looks like a DNS issue.

However:

This is adjusting the DNS server on Supervisor level (used by Home Assistant Core, Add-ons etc.).

The problem is on the OS side. When your router is not providing a default DNS server, the OS should fall back to 1.1.1.1 automatically. But maybe this DNS server is blocked by your router/ISP/country. To double check if 1.1.1.1 is indeed not available, you can explicitly set this DNS server using (replace x with a IP which is not assigned by your routers DHCP range):

ha network update end0 --ipv4-method static --ipv4-address 192.168.41.x/24 --ipv4-nameserver 1.1.1.1

Alternatively, try a different DNS server, e.g. the Google DNS server:

ha network update end0 --ipv4-method static --ipv4-address 192.168.41.x/24 --ipv4-nameserver 8.8.8.8

You can use ha supervisor restart to make the Supervisor start again and try to fetch Home Assistant Core.

1 Like

I am also seeing this issue. I have a raspberry pi 3B which I flashed the image haos_rpi3-64-12.3.img.xz using BalenaEtcher.

If I put the old SD card back in, the pi can resolve names/ip using the DHCP assigned DNS server and 1.1.1.1

I don’t have a monitor to hand, can I enable usb console access by editing config.txt?

It appears that on a fresh installation, there’s no SSH access possible so I’m stuck like everyone else.

Attach keyboard and monitor, and use the console.

That’s not possible, it’s a Pi 5. It doesn’t have HDMI anymore. It has those MicroUSB like HDMI ports on it so I can’t plug a display into it.

Edit: It appears rebooting it over and over again fixed the bug.

afbeelding

It’s working after a ton of reboots. This bug should be resolved on the software side though, instead of purchasing hardware you only need once.

I have needed it already more than once :slight_smile: And it costs less then €2