600MB Full Restore taking days... Is this normal?

Hello,

I’m trying to migrate HA from VirtualBox to Proxmox and the restore process appears to be taking forever with a backup file that is ~600MB. I let it run as long as ~12 hours before cancelling and trying other things but I’ve been unsuccessful at finding an answer, so I figured I’d reach out on here as I feel something is not quite right.

Some background:
I installed Proxmox VE on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M710q with 16GB RAM and an I5-7500T (4 core) processor. I then installed Home Assistant using the script in section 3.1 of this guide. I assigned 2 cores and 8GB of RAM for the HA VM. Next, I updated the OS and core of my current VirtualBox version of HA and then proceeded to create a full backup file, which turned out to be around 600MB in size.

Once the new HA OS was installed in Proxmox, I navigated to the HA login screen in my browser and selected the restore option. Selected the aforementioned backup file to do a full restore and this is where I am a bit stuck. I figured the restore process would take 1-2 hours tops, however after 2 hours passed, I decided to let the restore process run over night in the hopes that it would all be good to go the next day. Unfortunately this did not complete over night, and after ~12 hours I decided to delete the HA VM and start again. Unfortunately this did not appear to work either. I also tried restarting both my proxmox server computer (M710q) as well as my windows computer, which I’m using to access proxmox and HA web clients with no success at improving the restoration speed.

When looking at Proxmox summary, Disk IO is showing a current average speed of approximately 40KB/min diskwrite for HA. I assume this is an indicator of progress on the 600MB backup file? If so, I estimate that 150-200MB have been written, with ~400MB remaining. At 40KB/min, thats approximately 7 more days before the restore is complete if my math is correct?

Is there something I’m missing here? Does the restore speed change significantly based on which add-ons you have? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not an expert, but based on your server I would also expect that restoring a backup should be faster. To be honest: I also think that restoring backups is much slower than I would expect but this long is an exception.

Is anything else running on the same machine?

Thanks for your response. Just a clean Proxmox install with HA OS.

I run a vmware machine, backup size is approx 233 mb and takes approx 1 min to create.

However, the host is debian 11, so not really comparable (hosts also mysql, so backup does not include database)

1 Like

My system (core i3 with quite a fast nvme disk) takes about 3 hours to restore a 6 gigabyte backup (primarily due to huge Mariadb). I do run supervised on Debian though.

1 Like

My restore process took about 2 days. I read similar reports and it seems to be the case that having the Unifi integration with its MongoDB in the backup leads to this.

1 Like