7 Day Weather Forecast

yes, yes, yes

Are you able to see python_script.dark_sky_friendly_names in your list of services? What happens when you try to call this service manually? Any errors?

My bad ! I forgot to save when I added python_script to my config file. However when I restarted it didn’t update but when I ran it manually through services it all shows good now. Thanks for your help, a great addition to my front end. On to adding it to my floorplan!

Forecast3

1 Like

yes I see it. I can call it,

2018-01-25 16:53:19 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event call_service[L]: domain=python_script, service=dark_sky_friendly_names, service_data=, service_call_id=139628822690840-2259>
2018-01-25 16:53:19 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.api] STREAM 139628776775264 FORWARDING <Event call_service[L]: domain=python_script, service=dark_sky_friendly_names, service_data=, service_call_id=139628822690840-2259>
2018-01-25 16:53:19 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api] WS 139628739725856: Sending {‘id’: 23, ‘type’: ‘event’, ‘event’: {‘event_type’: ‘call_service’, ‘data’: {‘domain’: ‘python_script’, ‘service’: ‘dark_sky_friendly_names’, ‘service_data’: {}, ‘service_call_id’: ‘139628822690840-2259’}, ‘origin’: ‘LOCAL’, ‘time_fired’: datetime.datetime(2018, 1, 25, 15, 53, 19, 133857, tzinfo=)}}
2018-01-25 16:53:19 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.api] STREAM 139628776775264 WRITING data: {“event_type”: “call_service”, “data”: {“domain”: “python_script”, “service”: “dark_sky_friendly_names”, “service_data”: {}, “service_call_id”: “139628822690840-2259”}, “origin”: “LOCAL”, “time_fired”: “2018-01-25T15:53:19.133857+00:00”}
2018-01-25 16:53:19 INFO (SyncWorker_10) [homeassistant.components.python_script] Executing dark_sky_friendly_names.py: {}

same with me. Maybe it does not start automatically?

So you’re saying everything is showing properly now? See my suggestion in post #35 for adding a startup trigger to the automation in the weather.yaml file.

I added that trigger but it didn’t seem to work for me

Weird. I just tested it and it definitely works. Should look like this:

trigger:
      - platform: homeassistant
        event: start
      - platform: state
        entity_id:
          - sensor.forecast_1
          - sensor.forecast_2
          - sensor.forecast_3
          - sensor.forecast_4
          - sensor.forecast_5
          - sensor.forecast_6
          - sensor.forecast_7
1 Like

Mine is flipped but should be the same but it wasn’t until I ran the script manually that I saw a change. I’ll keep an eye on it for the next time I restart

- alias: "Update friendly names"
    initial_state: 'on'
    trigger:
      - platform: state
        entity_id:
          - sensor.forecast_1
          - sensor.forecast_2
          - sensor.forecast_3
          - sensor.forecast_4
          - sensor.forecast_5
          - sensor.forecast_6
          - sensor.forecast_7
      - platform: homeassistant
        event: start

thanks will try.

So sensor.forecast_0 is always today
_1 tomorrow
_2 after 2 days
??

I like to add this in hadashboard

Yes that’s correct.

Did anyone run into the following errors:

2018-01-25 15:14:57 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.util.yaml] Unable to read file /config/packages/weather.yaml: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb0 in position 677: invalid start byte
2018-01-25 15:14:57 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error loading /config/configuration.yaml: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb0 in position 677: invalid start byte

It appears to be getting thrown from the degrees signs in the weather.yaml, based on HA won't start or produce an error log - I'm a bit panicky. How did you all get around this?

I can’t reproduce these errors, everything seems to be working fine. I’m not sure what would be different about your configuration that would cause this. What version are you running?

hass.io 0.60. I ended up replacing the degrees sign with *, but it doesn’t look nearly as clean.

Why does mine look like this:

I did create a group

Forecast:
    name: Dark Sky Weather
    entities:
      - group.weather_card_forecast

Do I need to add every entity??

(Note the weather card is my BOM weather)

I put all the icons in config/www/dark_sky - all the individual files - was I supposed to maintain a folder structure?

Just noticed in weather.yaml line 100 there is also a group and it is set to no??? Do I edit that? (Just noticed I do have a forecast tab and it’s got forecast_1 etc)

Just manually ran the script and I now have friendly names and icons… So how do I get those other elements onto a card?

Just create a hidden group for those elements

1 Like

OK I REALLY HATE to say this however this KILLED MY HA completely. Could not access at all any way.

There seemed to be a small window that I could access via SCP and I was able to copy off my conf yaml and edit out the script and package and then reboot and now it’s working again.

I was unable to access the frontend
Unable to ssh - just got a bash screen and couldn’t do anything
Unable to scp after a short limited window.

I don’t understand this but I think something is conflicting/killing my install. Phew! I thought I had a dreaded card error and had downloaded a new hassio to install.

Weirdly, just after boot I could use winscp and see the config folder but quickly I could not change folder to \backup and if I went back to \config it was empty. could not see \root. Even when config did list just after boot if I was not fast enough and I tried to edit a file I got a scp error and a suggestion to try sftp.

I think the trick was to get in before the script ran as it was still booting. Anyway, normal access has resumed. Phew.

@Mattya802 The link you posted had a workaround to get the degree symbol to show without errors, did you try that?

@DavidFW1960 No idea what’s going on and why this would cause the issues you’re having. I’m not running hass.io.

Yah, it must have something to do with me using Textpad to edit my yaml files. What are you using to edit/save your yamls?