7 Day Weather Forecast

Entity State Attributes

Filter entities

Filter states

Filter attributes
automation.update_dark_sky_friendly_names on last_triggered: 2018-02-11T15:52:17.383546+00:00
id: update_friendly_names]
friendly_name: Update Dark Sky friendly names

But as I said, I triggered it manually…

Did it change the friendly_name? Also, let it run on its own.

If the friendly_name is “forecast 1”, “forecast 2” and so on, yes it did, however I triggered the automation manually. How long do you suggest me to wait for the automation? By the way Hassio just showed me an update to 0.63 which is being installed now.

The automation will run when there is a change (no fixed interval for that). Looks like you are up and running…

I also had to add

• platform: homeassistant
    event: start

under the sensor.forecast_7 to force it to run on reboot :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice :slight_smile: It’s working now.

So I have finally come back to this and it’s working nicely.

I created a group to put all the extra sensors into one group.

I then want to hide that group so it does not display but if I run the service group.set_visibility with the entity_id set to this group and visible: False it takes it out of the group display and throws the icons back up the top of the screen again.

I have all my sensors in a group and they all display on the one page - I don’t have multiple pages or tabs.

What do I need to do to hide all these sensors? I am using the weather.yaml I downloaded and also the python script to make friendly names.

Hide the entities by putting hidden: true for each entity in your customization. https://home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/customizing-devices/

I’ll give that a go. At least it’s working now and not crashing HA.

Implementation of friendly_name_template for template sensor got released with 0.64
So instead of running a script it should now be possible to update the names like this.

forecast_1:
        friendly_name_template: >
          {%- set date = as_timestamp(now()) + (1 * 86400 ) -%}
          {{ date | timestamp_custom("Tomorrow (%-m/%-d)") }}

forecast_2:
        friendly_name_template: >
          {%- set date = as_timestamp(now()) + (2 * 86400 ) -%}
          {{ date | timestamp_custom("%A (%-m/%-d)") }}

note, to get the correct date/time offset you need to modify the 2 * 86400 calculation for each forecast sensor.

I have updated my repo with friendly_name_template. See here.

4 Likes

So to clarify… I can overwrite my current weather.yaml with your new one and delete the python script?
I still need the icons I downloaded. I remove the python script from configuration.yaml

Yes…you don’t need the python_script anymore.

1 Like

I’m only getting a friendly name for today now…

Capture
Also you’ve moved the icons folder… (down one level was /local/dark_sky/ now /local/icons/dark_sky/

I got the icons back but the descriptions are all wrong except for today

also get the forecast friendly names as blank under services:

Yes…I moved the icons to /www/icons/dark_sky/ .

ok but why am i not getting the friendly names?

Did you update to 0.64?

yes 0.64.
I see on https://home-assistant.io/components/sensor.template/#friendly_name_template that it’s showing a >- in the examples which aren’t in the weather.yaml so I edited those in… restarting now.

No difference. The python script works and I don’t see any obvious error… (I comment out python with the new weather.yaml)