A comprehensive guide on how to set up Alexa with HA Docker

Hi there guys.

Reddit removed my post because of it’s spam filter, so I’ll post it here instead.

I found there’s no up-to-date guide on how to set up Alexa on an RPi4 with Docker, so I’ve decided to make one myself. Without any further ado, let’s jump straight into it!

THIS IS FOR THE CUSTOM SKILL. THIS GUIDE WILL NOT WORK FOR FLASH BRIEFING OR SMART HOME.

DuckDNS

First, we need to make sure your HA installation is available on the internet.
If you already set up DuckDNS, you can skip this section.

1. Sign in with any supported provider on DuckDNS.
  2. Next, you should see a page that looks like this:
  3. Choose a subdomain that you would like to access your HA installation from, and click add domain.
  4. If you get a reCaptcha error, click on the DuckDNS text at the top header, and try again.
  5. Your IP should automatically be filled in, but if you would like it to be a different IP, fill it in and hit update ip.
  6. To finish the installation, go to this page and click on pi, then choose your domain and follow the instructions.

Port Forwarding

This is the tricky part. But don’t worry, I’ll guide you through it.

Windows:

Press the Windows button, type cmd and hit enter.

Type ipconfig and hit enter.

If you are using wireless internet, look for Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi: and find Default Gateway there.

If you are using Ethernet, look for Ethernet adapter or something similar and find the Default Gateway there.

Mac OS X:

Click the Apple icon on the top left corner, then click System Preferences.

Click Network.

Select your internet connection and click Advanced.

Select the TCP/IP tab and find the gateway IP next to Router.

Linux:

In the command prompt, simply type ip route show and look for default via [GATEWAY ADDRESS HERE], where [GATEWAY ADDRESS HERE], would be your gateway address.

Once you have your IP address for your router, simply type it into your browser of choice, and type the password to log in, (not the password you use to join the wifi), located on the back of your router.

Try to locate the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering section.

If you can’t find it, look under advanced, or advanced setup, and it should be there. If you are unable to locate it, search [router brand here] port forwarding guide, and a couple of guides should be there to help you out.

Once you have located the port forwarding section, follow these general instructions. Every router is different. If you’re having trouble, please leave a comment below, and I and others will help you out.

Create a new port forwarding rule, locate your Raspberry Pi’s IP address and make the external and internal port the number 80.

And that’s it, but don’t close the port forwarding section yet! We’re not done.

Getting a certificate

This is the part in the official HA guide where things start to get old. The HA guide recommends to install certbot-auto which is deprecated and is no longer recommended. Here’s an updated version that will work for 2021.

On your Raspberry Pi, type sudo apt install certbot, and when it prompts you, type y and hit enter.

This will install certbot which will generate a certificate for you.

Once it is installed, run sudo certbot certonly.

When it prompts for 1 or 2, type 1 and hit enter.

When it prompts for your domain name, enter your domain name you created earlier in DuckDNS. It should be like hass-example.duckdns.org, with no trailing slash.

Soon, you should see a message saying Congratulations!, which means you have successfully generated a certificate.

If you do not see a message like that, and see something like Challenge failed, check your port forwarding settings, and if it still doesn’t work, leave a comment below.

We’re almost there!

Configuring HA with your new certificate

1. Open your port forwarding page again, and make sure the external port is 443 and the internal port is 8123, with your Raspberry Pi selected.
  2. Stop your HA install with docker stop homeassistant.
  3. Remove your HA container with docker rm homeassistant. (take note that this will not remove your config, it is still stored on your pi)
  4. Create a new docker container, with a new symbolic link to your cert folder.
docker run -d --name homeassistant --privileged -e TZ=YOUR_TIME_ZONE --restart=unless-stopped
-v /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG:/config
-v /etc/letsencrypt:/etc/letsencrypt
--network=host ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant:stable
  1. Then, change your directory to your config folder with cd /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG.
  2. Change to root with sudo su and run ln -s -T /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG/ssl.
  3. Go into your configuration.yaml file and add the following:http: server_port: 8123 ssl_certificate: ./ssl/fullchain.pem ssl_key: ./ssl/privkey.pem
  4. Restart Home Assistant from the web controls.

YOUR HA INSTALL WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE THRU LOCAL IP. FROM NOW ON, USE YOUR DOMAIN FROM DUCKDNS.

Creating the Alexa skill

1. Click here and click Create Skill.
  2. Fill out the information as follows:

Skill name: Whatever you like!

Primary locale: your preferred language

Sync locales: Off

Choose Custom, and choose Alexa-hosted (Python).

1. Then click Create skill at the top right.

2. Choose Start from Scratch and click Continue with template.

3. Amazon will now build a voice model and create your skill. This will not take long.

4. Soon, you will reach a dashboard that looks like this:

[

1. Open the invocations tab on the left, and then click Skill Invocation Name. Change it to whatever you like, this is what you will invoke the skill with. Then click Save model at the top.

2. Now open up the Interaction Model tab and open the Intents tab, and click on the Intents tab as well to open the Intents dashboard.

3. Delete the default HelloWorldIntent, and then click + Add Intent and the top. And type a name for your intent. It should describe what your command will do. For my example, it will be LocateIntent, then click Create custom intent.

4. If you want to put input into Home Assistant, you will use variables called “slots”. If you don’t want to use slots, skip to step 13. Scroll down and look for Intent Slots. Type a name for your slot. For my example, I will write “User”, then click the + sign.

5. Once you have your slot, choose a type of slot. There are plenty available, you shouldn’t have to create your own. I will use AMAZON.FirstName.

6. Type some things you would say like

• where is {User}
  • i need to know where {User}
  • where {User} is
  • etc. etc.

When you type a { symbol, a popup will show up asking what slot you would like to use. You can click your newly created slot.

1. Once you are done writing example utterances, click Save model and then click Build model. This should save your changes and put them into effect.

2. Click on the Code tab at the top, and paste the code below, replacing the sample code.

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
import os
import json
import logging
import urllib3

_debug = bool(os.environ.get('DEBUG'))

_logger = logging.getLogger('HomeAssistant-Intents')
_logger.setLevel(logging.DEBUG if _debug else logging.INFO)

def lambda_handler(event, context):
    """Handle incoming Alexa directive."""

_logger.debug('Event: %s', event)

base_url = "[[[YOUR DOMAIN HERE]]]"
    assert base_url is not None, 'Please set BASE_URL environment variable'

try:
        token = event.get('session', {}).get('user', {}).get('accessToken')
    except AttributeError:
        token = None

if token is None and _debug:
        token = os.environ.get('LONG_LIVED_ACCESS_TOKEN')

assert token, 'Could not get access token'

verify_ssl = not bool(os.environ.get('NOT_VERIFY_SSL'))

http = urllib3.PoolManager(
        cert_reqs='CERT_REQUIRED' if verify_ssl else 'CERT_NONE',
        timeout=urllib3.Timeout(connect=2.0, read=10.0)
    )

response = http.request(
        'POST',
        '{}/api/alexa'.format(base_url),
        headers={
            'Authorization': 'Bearer {}'.format(token),
            'Content-Type': 'application/json',
        },
        body=json.dumps(event).encode('utf-8'),
    )
    if response.status >= 400:
        return {
            'event': {
                'payload': {
                    'type': 'INVALID_AUTHORIZATION_CREDENTIAL'
                    if response.status in (401, 403) else 'INTERNAL_ERROR',
                    'message': response.data.decode("utf-8"),
                }
            }
        }
    return json.loads(response.data.decode('utf-8'))

And replace [[[YOUR DOMAIN HERE]]] with your HA domain, with no trailing slash.

1. Once you are done, hit Save, and then hit Deploy. This will deploy your skill code to your devices.

Configuring account linking

We’re on the home stretch! We just need to set up account linking now.

1. Head back over to the Build tab and then select the TOOLS tab, then select the Account linking tab, and fill out the following info.

Do you allow users to create an account or link to an existing account with you? (On)

Allow users to enable skill without account linking (Recommended). (Off)

Allow users to link their account to your skill from within your application or website (Off)

Allow users to authenticate using your mobile application (Off)

Make sure Auth Code Grant is selected.

Your Web Authorization URI should be [[YOUR HA DOMAIN]]/auth/authorize.

Access Token URI should be [[YOUR HA DOMAIN]]/auth/token.

Your Client ID should be:

https://pitangui.amazon.com/
if you are in US

https://layla.amazon.com/
if you are in EU

https://alexa.amazon.co.jp/
if you are in JP or AU

Your Secret should be nothing.

Your Authentication Scheme should be HTTP Basic (Recommended).

Your Scope should be intent.

Then scroll up and hit Save.

1. Open up your Alexa app on your phone and navigate to More -> Skills & Games -> Your Skills -> Dev

2. Locate your Home Assistant skill and tap on it. It should say something like Account linking required.

3. Link your account from there, and using your HA username and password.

The last section is coming right up!

Setting up the Alexa integration

1. Go back to here and find your skill. Under it, click Copy Skill ID. This will be useful later.
  2. Open up your configuration.yaml and type the following lines:
alexa:

intent_script:
  [[YOUR SKILL ID]]:
    speech:
      type: plain
      text: "Hello, World!"
  LocateIntent:
    speech:
      type: plain
      text: "{{ states.person[User].attributes.friendly_name }} is currently at {{ states.zone[states.person[User].state].name | default('a place away from home') }}"
  1. Replace [[YOUR SKILL ID]] with the skill ID you copied earlier.
  2. Save it, and restart your home assistant installation.

Congratulations! You have successfully set up Alexa with your HA installation. If you ever run into any issues, please feel free to comment below, and I will try to help you out.

To test out your skill, try saying Alexa, open [[YOUR SKILL INVOCATION NAME]]. It should say “Hello, World!”

For more information on how to configure HA with the intent_script config variable, click here.

If this was helpful, please give this post an upvote, it’s greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

This is great, I am wondering how to add devices linked to Alexa to HA after the set up.

Zack,

This custom skill exposes Home Assistant to Alexa, it does not expose Alexa to Home Assistant. Generally speaking, Amazon does not allow Alexa to share connected devices with third partys like Home Assistant. Whenever possible, it is usually best practice to integrate any devices you have diectly with Home Assistant. In cases where there is no integration for your device you may be able to quasi-integrate it using a workaround using helpers and the Alexa Media Player custom skill

Hello! This is a great work.

I’m trying to find something similar in order to expose HA to Alexa in a Docker installation of HA in a Synology NAS instead of Raspberry.

Does anybody know if there is possible to find that guide in some place?

Thanks in advance.

Hello!, after this step I always get an error:

Can’t link integration_name with Alexa.
An issue is preventing us from connecting to the skill to link your account.
You can try to link your account again by visiting the Skill integration_name page.

Any idea? My home assistant docker is fully availble from the web with ssl certificate. included.

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

Do you get an error that looks like this?

Yes quite similar. I’m trying to link the account form the mobile app instead from the web, but yes, basically is the same message.

Okay, see if this guide can help