A couple of hass.io newbie questions

I have decided to switch to Hass.io as it seems to be the future of home assistant. I have managed to get most of my features working again, apart from my PS4 media player. I guess that will never work again as I can’t install anything when I connect to hass.io through putty. It doesn’t recognise the commands.

Also how do I shut down the pi now? In home assistant I would log in through putty and type sudo shutdown -h now. Hass.io doesn’t let me run such commands.

Debating whether to switch back or not.

Thanks

Hi @andyp85 , maybe this will help with your ps4, Repository: Few addons.
I don’t know if PS4waker is what you’re looking for, hope it is.

Thanks that’s very helpful.

Do I save these files to my addons folder in Hassio and then add the host and ps4_ip information to the media player component in my configuration.yaml?

I honestly have no idea :wink: Haven’t got started with Hass.io myself, just came across it while researching. I understand it is explained on this page: https://home-assistant.io/hassio/installing_third_party_addons/

1 Like

Thanks again. I will read through and give it a go!

I really need this too. So far it’s really anoying. I really dislike this new way of ssh.

That’s the whole purpose, no more command line work. Add the github repository and install via the hass.io tab in HA.

Oh. It’s not a bad idea, but I would love the choice. It’s still early tho. Thanks!

I can see why they are moving away from command line and eventually you won’t need to make changes to the config files either. It makes sense to do that and make home assistant as accessible as possible to everyone interested in home automation.

I find github difficult to figure out. Adding the repository in HassIO is simple enough, but there are usually other steps to take in the config that aren’t explained well in the read me for the person who is new to this. Often feels like there is a lot of assumed knowledge which many people don’t have. I’d prefer a step by step walkthrough (maybe with screenshots). Hard to be too critical though, as people are spending their time creating these addons and sharing them for free, which is awesome.

I sometimes feel the same, but we can’t blame anybody :slight_smile: I suggest you look at YouTube, for example BruhAutomation or diyautomate for some more in-depth or guided tutorials, that helps me :wink:

1 Like

Just use hassio host shutdown

Ps: hassio help command list few useful commands

Since one of the recent updates it’s been added to the hass.io advanced features pane as promised.