A drag and drop interface for uploading media to Home Assistant

I think this one is really needed.

I’m creating a custom dashboard and am uploading a bunch of images to use as push buttons.

Unless I’m missing something, currently the process for uploading images in Home Assistant (locally) is:

→ Use something like File Editor
→ Navigate to a sensible path
→ Manually upload your images one by one

The same goes for adding PDFs or … just about anything.

It would be a lot more user-friendly to have a drag and drop page for quickly uploading content to your HA instance.

Some additional features could be:

→ The upload path is preconfigured
→ Upload path is determined by detected content type (e.g., png and jpg get nested under / images
→ Quick copy path functionality
→ Thumbnails to quickly preview images

Basically the kind of functionality that say something like Wordpress has had for quite some time.

I use Android for most things, and the CX File Explorer app does this quite well. Not quite drag and drop, but you can set up HA as a network location and copy/paste from elsewhere very easily.

The built in Samba share addon can be usefull for this. I use it for this.

3 Likes

I have my NAS mounted as a backup and media storage device so I was thinking about using something like Synology Photos for this purpose but … I’d prefer to keep everything on the HA instance for backup reasons (ie, I can back that up and rest assured that everything is backed up). The app you mention sounds like a good intermediate solution!

Honestly, just go with @BebeMischa’s suggestion and use Samba share.

It’s not just handy for drag n drop - it’ll come to your rescue if, for some reason, you can’t access HA via the UI.

3 Likes

I’m using SSHFS (easier to set up on Linux) and yes … works fine … but I still think a simple frontend tool would be very handy :slight_smile: