A raspberry pi turned into a Google Home, and it works!

Very true, I did successfully test this with my home lighting.

I didn’t go any further though, because IFTTT latency was very high, I would have to store my HASS API password in plaintext in the IFTTT action, there’s a need to expose my HASS instance to the world which does not exist elsewhere in my current setup including the need for dynamic DNS and a reliance on my internet connection that does not exist elsewhere in my setup and would not exist with MyCroft, and I couldn’t have any contextual awareness - because each instance runs separately for me, I’d like to be able to say “turn on the lights” and have the lights turn on in that room, which might be possible if I create multiple IFTTT accounts but when I am going to that level of complexity, it’s time to re-evaluate my position.

That said, for transparency’s sake, it was absolutely possible to do this using an IFTTT automation - however I won’t be pursuing it further for now.

1 Like

Be patient. PR with support of Google Assistant smart home API already submitted. I think in couple releases we will get it. And oauth2 module for cloud communications is already embedded.

1 Like

cool. In practical terms what will this bring?

Is cool idea, I do not see where the MIC are? Is important to leave right holes.

PS.
I might go the easy way: with a SOnos One: integrated Google Assistant, Alexa, Siri, and probably a very good sound

You’ll be able use google assistant and google home to manage your devices without additional master word. You will just say “Ok Google, turn on kitchen lights.”

nice. Hope that additional I will be able to say TURN ON LIGHTS (and with the GH in the kitchen turns on the kitchen lights, with the GH in the living room turns on only the living room lights

Google Actions (Smart Home API) supports household and rooms. So in general you are able to specify different rooms and devices that are there. But I don’t know is google aware of context. Can he recognize that request came from GH located in living room.

So this still doesn’t work if no prior GHome is actually present? Or can this diy solution be the only one?

unless they made big changes that i am unaware off, this wont work for connecting to HA.

If I understand the question correctly, you want to know if you can use the rasperrypi as GoogleHome without having an ‘actual’ google home device? I do not own a GoogleHome device and am able to use all features on my googleassistant on my phone using only the google home actions (using the manual setup of the GoogleAssistant, not using HA Cloud). So just having a rasperry pi should probably also work.

can you do home automation (switch switches, etc) from the phone without a google home?
because then they really changed something since i was working with it.

Yes, I can, but I need to use the Google Actions framework, so I needed to expose the API endpoint to the internet. You can do the same via the HA Cloud I guess, but the emulated Hue does not work.

ah, oke. so not really much has changed. you still cant do everything without GH.