AARLO Disarming Automation

Hi folks,
I’m in the process of implementing some Arlo’s around my joint.
I’m using Arlo Pro 3’s. Using the excellent AARLO integration by twrecked/ hass-aarlo

Aside from the light on the Pro3’s not being detected all’s well.

I’m trying to do a simple automation for disarming my alarm in the morning when the internal Hue motion sensors detect movement after sunrise. That’s it… I have three Hues I’m detecting from.
Trigger is:
Is there movement inside?
Conditions are:
Are we home?
Is the alarm panel currently armed?
Is it after sunrise?
My binary_sensor is:

- platform: template
    sensors:
      aarlo_disarm_template:
        value_template: >
          {{ is_state('binary_sensor.livinglight_sensor_motion', 'on') or
             is_state('binary_sensor.entertainmentlight_sensor_motion', 'on') or
             is_state('binary_sensor.study_sensor_motion', 'on') }}

My automation is:

- id: '1584227116851'
  alias: ArloDisarmMorning
  description: Disarm Arlo in the morning
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.aarlo_disarm_template
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  condition:
  - after: sunrise
    condition: sun
  - condition: state
    entity_id: group.people
    state: home
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.aarlo_doukiarlohub
    state: armed
  action:
  - data: {}
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.aarlo_doukiarlohub
    service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_disarm

I’ve since added ’ ’ around my state items (i.e. home is now ‘home’ ( and ‘armed’)).
I can see ‘aarlo_disarm_template’ in the logs turned on & off as expected as we move about the house.

I’m able to arm / disarm when we leave / return home via another automation no problem.

My morning disarm automation is NOT firing when I think it should be… Can’t see why.
I need to manually disarm. Can also simply execute the automation and it disarms okay.
Any suggestions?

What time do you think sunrise is? Is it early enough? You might want an offset on that condition. For me, sunrise here is at 7:14AM tomorrow, and I’m up before that. Just a thought. I’ll assume you see sunlight though, so that should be OK. If you want, add a before_offset with a postive value, or an after_offset with a negative value if you want to be confusing.

What timezone are you in? Is there DST? Is Home Assistant aware of Daylight Savings time enabled/disabled? All of these will affect the sunrise condition.

Are you sure the group is home? How are you doing device tracking? Wouldn’t be too surprised if all of your tracked devices are in sleep mode and you aren’t considered home right away before looking at your phone. Open the history for group.people and see if it remained ‘home’ all night and morning. Given it’s a group, all it needs is one of the devices to report as ‘home’, so this also seems unlikely. Worth a shot though.

Finally, check the state history for the aarlo_doukiarlohub to see it’s actually reported as ‘armed’ at that time.

I don’t know, it all looks good, and you say you fired it with automation.trigger…so it really has to be one of those conditions that isn’t quite right.

1 Like

Hi @jocnnor, thanks for the reply.

Well this is working now!

Great considerations you raise through. I think I’ll need to tune over time.

Sunrise where I am varies between 04:25 to 06:20, So in the winter months I’ll probably need an offset. I’ll need to have a think about how I do that… Far too lazy to change manually. This time of year is fine it’s around 05:50.
Thankfully (for the machines) there’s no DST here.
I’m monitoring the group.people, it’s behaving as I’d hoped. As long one person is ‘home’, it’s reporting ‘home’.
The WiFi tracking seems to respond in timely fashion. I don’t mind the odd image being sent to me while it converges to home (I disable my SSID over night, coupled with the sleep function of phone might eventually create a problem)…
I found the aarlo_doukiarlohub has different armed states depending on how it was armed. I had an error here. It’s been fixed along with adding apostrophe’s around some of my sates in my conditions.

Here’s where it’s at right now:

- id: '1584227116851'
  alias: ArloDisarmMorning
  description: Disarm Arlo in the morning
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.aarlo_disarm_template
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  condition:
  - after: sunrise
    condition: sun