Ability to choose beta or stable channel for Deconz plugin

Hello,
It would be quite nice if we could directly choose which version (or at least channel) of deconz to use with HA. Each update brings support of new devices and it often makes sense to switch to a beta version to be able to use recently purchased hardware that are only supported in latest beta.
Deconz plugin updates are often limited to changing the url of the .deb package from deconz official repo (cf. this as an example: https://github.com/home-assistant/addons/commit/c0791f8df5dce6947cfffcd587858fd1c437f44d#diff-71dcbd189f0dd3e12b9170d939f50babb679cd957f0bfff995bb476fbfd98b40Ă ), I assume it would not require a lot of code changes to add an option to use either latest beta or latest stable (the most tricky part would be, I guess, to initiate a rebuild of the container after downloading the new version ?)

Please vote for your own request.

I don’t think this will happen, as the maintainer probably doesn’t want to maintain different versions and add an option to choose for a few impatient people. There’s probably also some testing involved before a new add-on version is releases and that’s why it’s sometimes a bit behind.

I think with the recent new players in the game (like lidl), it will not be a “few” impatient people.
It’s most likely many people who have purchased new hardware,
see that deconz has added support for them,
but they can not use it and don’t know when they can :slightly_smiling_face:

I myself am one of them.
Running supervised home assistant with the deconz addon,
with some devices that work in deconz beta but which I can not install on my supervised nuc.
And no known release date.
So although I could be using them, I have no idea when I actually can.

I’m sure Frenck is happily awaiting your PR :wink:

1 Like

if you add deconz as a docker container then you can use latest beta. (Docker Hub)

But you have to reconfigure all your setting.

Yes, but you can’t do this on Home Assistant Supervised, otherwise your install will be marked as unsupported.

I use Home Assistant OS.
hassio discovers deconz docker automatically as an integration.
I did not understand what do you mean by marked as unsupported.

As soon as you install a non add-on container on HA OS or HA Supervised, your installation is marked as ‘unsupported’

i agree! it would be nice to be able to “switch” the channel on the config page - especially with the rather long beta periods - that deconz tend to have.

i have been checking almost daily for the 2.13 to be marked stable - as this brings alot of improvement to some of my new devices :slight_smile:

br Ronni

1 Like

I do not have that problem, let me explain my setup.

I have Home Assistant Operating System as a VM on my unraid server.

When I install deconz docker on the same unraid server, HA discovers deconz integration automatically.

Yes, because you are not installing it on the VM running Home Assistant OS. Otherwise you would have the same problem.