Abode Cameras

I’m trying to get an automation working to do this - the automation runs but no image ever shows up in the path I specify. Can you share what you did in yours?

@tradel thanks so much for your work on this integration. I’m having some issues with the camera image links getting “broken” following a system update, and would like to be able to directly write to the file system to fix that. (see my post on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/15kubix/where_are_camera_integration_images_stored/)

Is the image cache in a location that can be written?

You won’t see any images unless you’ve recently used the Abode app to capture an image. I’ve thought about maybe grabbing an image in the background periodically but haven’t coded this yet.

Great news, everyone! I have found a way to get streaming video from the Abode cameras into Home Assistant. No, really.

It’s a bit janky right now and relies on some other HA add-ons and custom components to work, but hopefully I can package this as an add-on.

Abode uses Amazon Kinesis Video to handle streaming, motion detection, etc. I was able to intercept their web traffic and find the specific API calls I needed. Then I wrote a Python script that calls the APIs and spawns the excellent go2rtc from @AlexxIT. You can then use his WebRTC Custom Component to display camera streams in HA!

Proof:

There are some gotchas with this that I still have to work out. The biggest one is that the Kinesis streams seem to time out after a while.

But we’re getting much closer to having these cameras be useful in HA!

4 Likes

Awesome, can’t wait for that! Incredible work!

First release is out:

Abode security cameras - Third party integrations - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Enjoy!

1 Like

Now there’s live video :smiley: