About Selling homeassistant

Can i Sell it as a service or a product as like other opensource softwares?

I think that’s a yes

Don’t mean to be rude, but I don’t understand why people can’t just answer the question instead of just quoting the relevant license. I mean, I know the bloody open source licenses are [sarcasm]just crystal clear and easy to understand.[/sarcasm]

Answer:
See question #9:

9. Can you license your own software under the Apache license and can you sell Apache open source software/code?

Yes. You can release your own software under the Apache license, as long as you comply with the license’s terms and conditions. And you can sell any Apache-licensed software/code but you must comply with the terms of the Apache 2.0 license. This includes providing attribution and making the source code available to users, among other obligations outlined in the license.

Can you license your own software under the Apache license and can you sell Apache open source software/code?

So, the bottom line as I see it is, can you sell Home Assistant? In short, as long as you comply with the full terms of the Apache License under which Home Assistant is licensed. Specifically:

9. Accepting Warranty or Additional Liability. While redistributing the Work or Derivative Works thereof, You may choose to offer, and charge a fee for, acceptance of support, warranty, indemnity, or other liability obligations and/or rights consistent with this License. However, in accepting such obligations, You may act only on Your own behalf and on Your sole responsibility, not on behalf of any other Contributor, and only if You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold each Contributor harmless for any liability incurred by, or claims asserted against, such Contributor by reason of your accepting any such warranty or additional liability.

If you want to sell Home Assistant, I fully recommend you get in touch with a lawyer who specializes in this area of law and get their advice. Just my 2.67574 cents worth, your milage will vary.

1 Like

how about if i sell it as a service and take payment for the service but not for the software?

If you want to sell Home Assistant, I fully recommend you get in touch with a lawyer who specializes in this area of law and get their advice. Just my 2.67574 cents worth, your milage will vary.

It’s not really being rude, it’s just being short and to the point. Most veterans don’t mind you selling it, but we 100% do not want to support your customers.

By all means sell it, but we will not support your customers for you. And it’s very easy to tell who your customers are.

2 Likes