Absolute noob to smart home, quick question regarding the purpose of HA

Hello all, we are “smartening” our home and I would like to know if I install HA on my rp3, will I be able to control things like the lights and the heating and the smart lock? I’m asking because I’m trying to have everything in one app and not need one for the lights, one for the door etc.

Is this Home Assistant purpose? I understand about the automation part, but what about the convenience to have everything in one place?

Also, I’m looking at buying a smart lock, but in the integration tab of HA, none of Kevo, schlage come up. Does that mean it wouldn’t work?

Thanks so much!!

Yes that’s the purpose of HA.

as far as locks you probably won’t find them under the specific brand but instead under the protocol used to control them - like zwave/zigbee/etc. I don’t have any smart locks but that’s my understanding.

This is the sole purpose of Home Assistant.

Home Assistant is an open source hub with a huge community and a lot of support, chances are that if you run into any issues, someone has most likely had the same issue and the info is openly available.

When picking new device to integrate into your smart home lock at this, https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations, page for OEM supported devices, alternatively if you are a tinkerer you can diy a lot of devices and integrated the easily using Tasmota (MQTT based) or ESPHome (API based).

Welcome to Home Assistant

Thank you both! Yes, the integration page is where I look up the models but I find as @finity said that it’s often not under the makers name but rather the protocol. How do I make sure when buying my things that it will work? For instance, which brand should I buy the lights? Regarding the smart lock, I wanted to get the Kevo one, but again it’s not listed in the integrations. Thanks a lot for the kind welcome and sorry for my ignorance!

i don’t see any protocol listed about the Kevo lock so I can’t tell if it’s app only.

the safest way to be sure is look for a lock that has a protocol listed in the integrations page.

Greetings, so Kevo sent me a survey today which I answered in the negatively, complaining of their need to get out of 2001and provide an API.

If you still have a Kevo and would like to see this please feel free to provide similar feedback to them.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/926GLF2?utm_source=Unikey%20Automated%20Review&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=UnikeyReviews-sad