Access HA Console remotely on Raspberry Pi

Not sure if this is the right category for this one…

I’ve forgotten my Owner user’s password - I still know the username, and the Owner is currently logged in.

Looking at the “I’m Locked Out” page, one option is to reset the password via the HA console, but not the SSH Terminal addon.

Is it possible to connect to the HA console remotely via external SSH? Or do I need to connect a keyboard/monitor directly to the Pi as in the ‘Green’ instructions?

Easiest

More difficult

Thanks - that’s what I’d suspected.

I’ve got an HDMI adapter coming on Tuesday, I’ll wait for that and connect directly.

I could go down the more difficult route (I’m a developer by profession, so know what I’m doing), but a simple direct connection is simpler!

The saga continues…

Connecting an HDMI cable directly, I’m not seeing any output on the screen. I suspect it’s because it’s not detecting the display.

Some searching indicates that setting

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

in the config.txt file in the boot partition should fix this.

Two questions arise from this:

Where is the config.txt file?
Looks like it’s in the boot partition, which I think is /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-boot.

So I assume I need to mount hassos-boot to then edit config.txt - correct?

If so, how do I mount it from within the HA terminal? when I try

mount -t vfat dev/disk/by-label/hassos-boot /mnt/boot

I get ‘no such file or directory’ - so am I looking in the wrong place, or is my mount command wrong?

Assuming I change config.txt - can I reboot without the owner password?
I assume that having changed config.txt, I’ll need to restart the device to pickup the changes (I assume). When I do this, will I need the owner password, or will another administrator user suffice?

If I need the owner password, then I’m obviously still stuck, so I need to get the HDMI working without a restart.

Got it sorted - the only way I found to edit the config.txt file was to shut down, remove the sd card and put it in a Windows machine’s card reader (my MacBook wouldn’t read the card).

The boot disk was automatically mounted, and I could edit the config.txt file using Notepad.

Then put the card back in the Pi, restarted, and I got the console up on my HDMI screen - from where I could reset my owner’s password.