Access .storage folder

@simclancy

Hi, I had the same problem as you yesterday, that is how I got to this topic.

In my case I can see the hidden .storage folder directly in windows (I have the samba add on installed in HA); please make sure that the option to show hidden files/folders is checked in windows

another way is to go to the terminal in HA and type the command “cat” followed by the name of the broadlink file

it will display the contents of the file but I could not copy them :-))

I still do not see the .storage folder in the file editor in HA.

5 Likes

Thanks mate!

Found these instructions on a Youtube clip for setting up the broadlink, worked for me:

To find the .storage, go to Supervisor\Dashboard\File editor\configuration and remove the line which says .storage

27 Likes

Well done followed your advice works immediately, well done!
I changed the file configuration by placing some #### before that - /.storage

1 Like

this worked for me!! none of the other suggestions did… thanks man

This is the MVP for this problem.

@liviumac, thank you! Using the samba add on was the only way I could access the .storage folder. I was unable to see the .storage filder using either of the following add-ons:

grazie! così funziona anche da remoto!

Glad it helped
In the meantime I found a more elegant solution: go to the configuration tab of the file editor addon and you should see a config line which specifies folders to be ignored. Just delete the storage folder from there and you should be able to see it in file editor afterwards.

6 Likes

Thanks mate. in windows 10. click the windows button and type in hiden files to open the settings ->on change settings to show hidden files → click on settings and tick show hidden files on the next screen->click apply

1 Like

In VS Code go to file → preferences → settings

and in the search bar, search for “.storage”

then delete whatever json setting that you don’t want to hide that specific file

5 Likes

@Slobadx Nice found! It does shows a list which files to be excluded. Thanks!

I could access the folder, but I can’t seem to edit the core.device_registry file and make it stick
I think each time I edit the file, then I press restart, and HA must save the file immediately at that point, making my changes lost. But I can’t access the storage when off as HA is on a VM.

^ that’s the one. Here’s detail for anyone that needs it - also don’t forget to backup before you tinker. From the Sidebar I went to Settings → Addons-> File Editor.

Choose Configuration tab (at the top), mine had 4 balloons above the “ignore pattern” box including .storage which I removed by pressing the x then clicking SAVE at the bottom right. This prompted a restart of the add-on.

Following this the .storage folder was visible in my file editor under config/ and I was able to access the files.

Thanks for the simple fix!

4 Likes

If you use the File Editor addon, you can go to the Configuration, remove .storage in the Ignore Pattern, go to Save, and restart File Editor.
Done!

5 Likes

Searching for .storage didn’t show any results in my VS Code Settings. However searching for the settings name which is files.exclude did it.

7 Likes

I find the samba is a great tool for find hidden folders like this

ANy idea how to configure this for studio Code server? i can use go to file: .storage/XXXXX

but it is not the easy way to access files…

thansk

Go to Studio Code Server/Manage (cog icon at bottom)/Text Editor/Files and remove the entry for .storage from the exclude list. Now the folder will show up and all files like all others.

1 Like

Thansk, I did not find this option and it works (but not sure i had to do it on Safary, asdid not works on chrome)