Access .storage folder

I use Broadlink remote, learn command and HA document tell me they are saved in .storage folder
However, I can not see this folder in file editor
I run shell “ls -a” in file editor and can see the hidden folder .storage. However shell block me access by “cd .storage”

I also try VS code addon but also no .storage folder
So a very noob question, how could I access .storage folder and view its content, file

Tks

Files and directories that start with a “.” are hidden.

The .storage folder is located in the same directory that your configuration files are. So if you did the default install cd to /config/.storage

as i post because storage is hidden so i cd shell but fail (look at my image). I install HA using vmdk with vmware, so still dont figure out how to access this folder

1 Like

If you have either the ‘SSH’ or ‘Terminal and SSH’ add-ons installed, it is all very accessible.

I cannot find this addon, as well as many addon missing. So what version of HA you installed? I think vmdk installed with vmware provide enviroment as install on Raspberry

I am running 108.1 .
You should see it listed under Supervisor -> Add-On Store

In general, you should not need to edit any files in this directory. There is the potential to really break. things.

Hi figure it out, must enable advance config in user setting for showing this addon-on
Tks

4 Likes

Big thanks for sharing you own answer to your own question.

Must say I am tiny bit disappointed on the other answers in here.

Now I can see the folder inside the File Editor witch is the way most people are able to work, using ssh etc. just to get something that the file editor should be able to do is over the top, over complicated way of doing things unless you live your life inside these things.

5 Likes

Dont mind me asking, how did you manage to see it? I am trying to look for my Broadlink codes. I have managed to SSH and I see the file name in .storage but I cant see it in the file editor.

@simclancy

Hi, I had the same problem as you yesterday, that is how I got to this topic.

In my case I can see the hidden .storage folder directly in windows (I have the samba add on installed in HA); please make sure that the option to show hidden files/folders is checked in windows

another way is to go to the terminal in HA and type the command “cat” followed by the name of the broadlink file

it will display the contents of the file but I could not copy them :-))

I still do not see the .storage folder in the file editor in HA.

5 Likes

Thanks mate!

Found these instructions on a Youtube clip for setting up the broadlink, worked for me:

To find the .storage, go to Supervisor\Dashboard\File editor\configuration and remove the line which says .storage

28 Likes

Well done followed your advice works immediately, well done!
I changed the file configuration by placing some #### before that - /.storage

1 Like

this worked for me!! none of the other suggestions did… thanks man

This is the MVP for this problem.

@liviumac, thank you! Using the samba add on was the only way I could access the .storage folder. I was unable to see the .storage filder using either of the following add-ons:

grazie! così funziona anche da remoto!

Glad it helped
In the meantime I found a more elegant solution: go to the configuration tab of the file editor addon and you should see a config line which specifies folders to be ignored. Just delete the storage folder from there and you should be able to see it in file editor afterwards.

6 Likes

Thanks mate. in windows 10. click the windows button and type in hiden files to open the settings ->on change settings to show hidden files → click on settings and tick show hidden files on the next screen->click apply

1 Like

In VS Code go to file → preferences → settings

and in the search bar, search for “.storage”

then delete whatever json setting that you don’t want to hide that specific file

6 Likes