Accessing node red outside of home assistant url?

Is there a way to access node red through web browser without first going into home assistant?

If you’re running the Add-On inside of Home Assistant and you’re talking about accessing it without having to have to the Home Assistant navigation menus on the left, then no. The add-on is configured to work through the host’s network stack and is exposed as a “page” on the main Home Assistant interface.

It would of course be possible to change all of this as it’s just a bunch of configuration options, but that’s an exercise for the reader. You’d be looking to expose the Node Red container directly on a different port from HA. However, this will also require you to reconfigure HA and NodeRed to allow the two containers to talk. You’ll also lose the ability to access Node Red via Nabu Casa if you’re using it that way.

What is your reason to have it exposed directly? Maybe there’s a better solution.

1 Like

Just wanted an easy(ier) way to access node red. So I could just have a bookmark in my web browser.

Right-click on “Node-RED” in your HA navigation and choose “Bookmark this Link” (in Firefox). Done.
If you don’t have “Node-RED” in your HA navigation menu (sidebar), then go to the add-on under Supervisor / Node-RED, and tick the box that says “Show in sidebar”.

2 Likes

You know, i never thought about just bookmarking the site when I am there. Keep it simple! Thanks

1 Like

There is one really annoying issue with HA and it’s GUI integrations: it reloads the node red page from time to time and loses all the not saved state.

Currently I want to debug an issue with an ZigBee PIR, where I have to wait for it to time out. Of course I open up other pages in meantime and work on them. Switching back to Node Red reloads the page and I lose the selected debug node and also every debug messages I need. It’s really annoying.