Acova alcantara radiator with install code

Hi,
I’m trying to add my Acova alcantara2 radiator to ZHA but it does not work.
The radiator device displays an install code (3 chars) when doing the integration procedure to ZHA.
The device join the network and is recognize by Home assistant but the device left the network after some seconds. (maybe because the install code displayed is not confirmed on ZHA side)

I have understood that I have to put this code into “Zha service.permit.install code” with the “Source IEEE” filled in.

So I have the source IEEE filled in but I don’t know how I can pu the 3 chars install code as ZHA require de 16 bytes + 2 crc bytes code.
How can I convert the 3 chars into the right format ?

Hope that somebody has already use this kind of radiator or device with install code needed ?

Submit a new device request support → https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#how-to-add-support-for-new-and-unsupported-devicesIssues · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub

However in this case I think the best might probably to also ask ZHA/zigpy developers here → https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy/discussions

and maybe also contribute to related discussion → https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy/discussions/857

Also consider voting for that feature request → https://community.home-assistant.io/t/zigbee-device-provisioning-by-scanning-qr-code-qr-camera-scanner-in-zhas-ui-config-and-companion-apps-to-include-new-zigbee-3-0-devices-to-home-assistants-zha-integration/231185/4

Where you able to make them work with ZHA (set temp etc.) ?

1 Like

Hello !
(je suppose que ce sujet n’intéresse que les français, mais je vais continuer en anglais pour être conforme aux règles de ce forum)
I just acquired an Acova Percale 2 heater and I’m trying to manage it from HA with ZHA integration. (this heater is sold by Leroy Merlin with a Enki box to manage them).
It works … some time … but the header is leaving the BOX mode when I change the settings on the Climate dashboard. I have to go back to the heater panal to choose again “BOX mode”, and it then reconnect to HA.
Does someone make it works with ZHA ?
I’ve found information for using those Acova “Enki” heaters with Zigbee2MQTT integration, but I would prefer to use ZHA, because all my sensors are using ZHA.
Any help is welcome
Thanks -Jean-Claude

[Edit]
When in manual mode, temperature and heating state is well received by HA. It’s just when trying to modify settings in “BOX mode” that the heater is disconneted and put in idle mode.

Yes, I observe exactly the same thing with Acova Alcantara 2 radiator from HA with ZHA. Connection works and it’s able to connect, recieve data and set the thermostate. However, once the thermostate is changed, it quits the “box mode” where it’s controlled by this thermostate which need to be re-enabled manually.

I wonder if it hasn’t something to do with the fact that I never entered that authentication code. So maybe it allows anyone to read sensors, but if you try to write and change the thermostate without providing a valid auth code, it will quit being remotely controlled. Which would make sense for security reasons. Need to investigate more.

In the linked Github repos, the only one that mentions Acova heaters is zigbee2mqtt#16961 it describes exactly this problem we are experienceing (altough with ZHA):

• control of the themostat → possible but leaves the controlled “box mode”
  • power on → puts it into the freeze protection mode @ 7° C, instead of the “box mode”
  • power off → works

From that discussion it sound like there may be some other command to put back to the “box mode”.

I wonder if it’s worth trying to ask the manufacturer (which doesn’t officially support HomeAssistant) or are those kind of think usually rather reverse-engineered?

There is a discussion on the French Jeedom forum about those heaters and they seems to work well, without disconnection.
I do not know how the Jeedom plug-in is working but perhaps there is here some hints to make ZHA integration working ?

Hi there!
bonjour @jca24440 ( idem je vais devoir parler en français pour respecter le forum, mais si il y a un manière de s’aider en français je suis quand même preneur)

Did someone find a solution ?

I’ve had the same problem, when I send a stop message the radiator goes into off mode, and when I turn it on again it’s in defrost mode and not in “box” mode, so it doesn’t take the temperature information I send.

For today, I’ve had the idea of not putting the radiator in off mode, but sending it a set temperature of 7.5°C just so that it stays in heat mode. I’m waiting to see if this has any impact on my electricity consumption.

In addition, I saw in the zigbee2mqtt documentation for my radiator that I could send it {"system_mode": VALUE} instead of simply changing its “state” to ‘heat’.

you can find more documentation here : Acova ALCANTARA2 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT

I’m discovering this topic,

My house is equipped with Acova Taffeta 2 heaters. They are currently controlled by the Enki Box. But it’s a really limited and poor experience, I have te rely on the integrated thermometer witch is highly inaccurate to heat the room to the desired temperature.

I’ve just discovered Home Assistant. And i’m facing the exact same problems than those discribed above.

I’ll try to help and see how custom integrations are done. But I’m just discovering Home Assistant, and I don’t know where to start.

I’ll follow this Topic.

Hi,
Same issue here :frowning: have you find any solution?

Hi !

I found a solution

to use acova heaters, with HomeAssistant and Zigbee2mqtt,

i use nodeRaid automation to shcedule thoses heaters with some conditions

With nodeRaid i define state to “off” when i want to shut down the heater, and i define state to “auto” and NOT ‘heat’ to power on the heater on “box” mode, once heater state define as “auto” it allow me to set temperature with HomeAssistant and if i want i can also use heater’s buttons to set manual temperature

I hope i can help u !

and Happy new year !

1 Like

Thx i will try, have you get the radiator consumption too ? i cant find it
Thx a lot

Happy new year too

Hi ! Happy new year.
To my knowledge, the Acova Enki heaters (Alcantara, Percale and Taffetas) does not record power consumption. There is just an indicator on their front panel about the current power usage, but this information is not available thru Zigbee.

• JC (still investigating zigbee issues with ZHA … )

I’ll track your progress since I feel like buying them and manage them via ZHA instead of Z2M (too lazy to reconfigure my whole ZigBee setup :/)

Hello ! I finally switched to Z2M to have more control on my Acova heaters. For now, testing with an Alcantara 2 model is quite successfull. The heater can be managed from HA in “auto” mode, and put to “unfreeze” or “off” mode. Even when the heater is powered off on his pannel, you may awake it and send him a temp. The main problem is that the “local temp” reported and displayed is in fact the same value than the temp requested. So, you’ll need to measure real room temp with a different sensor to see the warming process. Some other people here are searching for a solution, because maybe the heater could send his local temp by a non standard way ? Sniffing the conversations with a real Enki box may help.
So, work in progress.

Is it working with this workaround on ZHA ?
If setting the temps to 7/8 degres is enough then it will be good for me :).
I just want a heater that can be controlled from ZHA (and by controlling I mean the temperature)

I finally bought one 1000W Acova Alcantara as I needed a new one.
I’ve created a Device Support Request for ZHA :

[Device Support Request] ACOVA Alcantara heater support in ZHA · Issue #2921 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers (github.com)

There was an update this morning of HA

If I put the heater in “heat” mode it goes to “frost mode”.

But if I go on the heater and set it to box mode I can now change the temperature of the heater from ZHA and it’s staying in box mode !
Even automation seems to work.
I need to test this further.

Edit : and i did
2 new heaters, one is ok, the second does not want to stay “available” on HA.

As soon as the lovelace thermostat card goes to “chauffage/climatisation” I can’t control it anymore

It seems to be an issue with the “idle” mode.
If the heater is in idle mode I cannot change the temperature anymore (but the heater is still connected to ZHA).

The heater is still in box mode but I can’t control it from HA.
And if I change the temperature of the heater (while still in box mode) it comes back on HA and I can change it again, but just for few seconds.

The probleme seems to be from the SystemMode.
If the Heater is in SystemMode.EmergencyHeating I can control it from HA without problem, but after a few seconds it goes back to SystemMode.Auto (which is the default BOX MODE on the heater) I can not control it because HA is blocked on this Heat/Cool.

I will follow this topic if I may. I just bought two Alcantara radiators for our new home and I am setting up HA…