Action depending on QR code recognition

I’m using a Raspberry Pi, with Hassbian OS, what I want to do is opening a door when a QR code is detected through a USB camera, I didn’t find any code to do that function
the only one I found is

image_processing:
- platform: qrcode
  source:
  - entity_id: camera.live_cam

but it’s not working, if any one know what I could do ?

2 Likes

If any one can help pleas.

1 Like

I don’t use the qrcode component but its documentation indicates you must install zbar-tools for Ubuntu.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/graphics/zbar-tools

Did you install it?

yes, I have installed it

1 Like

Did you gt this to work?

1 Like

Anybody? Documentation is useless. A Google search brought me here. There is nothing else. I don’t see anyone who has made it work. Everything is installed and I have no errors. In fact I see that in the history of Home Assistant the detection works. But I can’t find a way to do anything useful with it.

Please someone update the documentation. Unfortunately there is a lot of very scarce documentation in data of various things that make use very difficult.

You may have a mistaken impression of how the documentation works. Its content is composed by volunteers (anyone can contribute). If someone is interested in adding/modifying it, they do. Otherwise, they don’t.

Complaining about it, or requesting that “someone” update it, won’t change anything. If you know specifically what you want added/improved, but don’t feel qualified to make the changes yourself, create a Feature Request and post your suggestions. Others can vote for your Feature Request or even add suggestions to it. It’s likely to get more visibility that way and stands a better chance of attracting the attention of an interested volunteer.

1 Like

Thanks for answering. And I understand that anyone can compose the documentation, but I think the best trained is the creator of the code. I understand that one of the most important parts of programming is always documenting.

The documentation for qrcode in particular doesn’t even have an example of how to use it. Without even an example of how to use it, I find it very difficult for someone to even try.

I’ve been looking for someone to make it work for a long time, but I haven’t come across anyone. Google doesn’t help much either, because search brought me here. It’s a shame that no one since April 2019 has made this work, which looks incredibly interesting.

I would love to collaborate, but without even an example, I don’t see how I can do it.

Sorry for my terrible english.

I’m guessing you have found a way to accomplish this by now, but if not, I’ve added an example of how to use this integration in an automation here: Added automation example for qrcode integration by stoffus · Pull Request #17677 · home-assistant/home-assistant.io · GitHub