[Action Required] AWS Lambda end of support for Python 3.6 Amazon Alexa Smart Home Skill

So as in the title I received an email yesterday from Amazon

Hello,

We are contacting you as we have identified that your AWS Account currently has one or more Lambda functions using Python 3.6 runtime.

We are ending support for Python 3.6 in AWS Lambda. This follows Python 3.6 End-Of-Life (EOL) reached on December 23, 2021 [1].

As described in the Lambda runtime support policy [2], end of support for language runtimes in Lambda happens in two stages. Starting July 18, 2022, Lambda will no longer apply security patches and other updates to the Python 3.6 runtime used by Lambda functions, and functions using Python 3.6 will no longer be eligible for technical support. In addition, you will no longer be able to create new Lambda functions using the Python 3.6 runtime. Starting August 17, 2022, you will no longer be able to update existing functions using the Python 3.6 runtime.

We recommend that you upgrade your existing Python 3.6 functions to Python 3.9 before August 17, 2022.

End of support does not impact function execution. Your functions will continue to run. However, they will be running on an unsupported runtime which is no longer maintained or patched by the AWS Lambda team.

The following command shows how to use the AWS CLI [3] to list all functions in a specific region using Python 3.6. To find all such functions in your account, repeat this command for each region:

aws lambda list-functions --function-version ALL --region us-east-1 --output text --query “Functions[?Runtime==‘python3.6’].FunctionArn”

If you have any concerns or require further assistance, please contact AWS Support [4].

[1] PEP 494 – Python 3.6 Release Schedule | peps.python.org

[2] Runtime support policy - AWS Lambda

[3] AWS Command Line Interface

[4] https://aws.amazon.com/support

Sincerely,

Amazon Web Services

Amazon Web Services, Inc. is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Amazon.com is a registered trademark of Amazon.com, Inc. This message was produced and distributed by Amazon Web Services Inc., 410 Terry Ave. North, Seattle, WA 98109-5210

Is it simply a case of changing * Runtime - Python 3.6 to 3.9 In the AWS Lambda setup?

Regards,

1 Like

Yes simply changing to 3.9 in AWS Lambda works.

See also the comments in The Haaska Super Thread - Third party integrations - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes

Up and running again, it was that long ago I set it up… :smiley: I had forgotten about the Haaska Thread.

Thanks for this - came here as I just received the same email!

The Haaska Super Thread - #376 by juan11perez seems to be the simplest post to follow.
I stuck with 3.9 but think can probably use 3.11 now too

Hello there,

As I have gone through this post and found it very much informative as of the end of support for Python 3.6 in AWS Lambda, it’s crucial to update our Amazon Alexa Smart Home Skill to ensure compatibility and uninterrupted service.

I’ll prioritize this update to ensure our skill continues to function smoothly.

Also, I found these link very much useful:- AWS Command Line Interface

Thanks for notifying me. I am surely gonna bookmark this one.

1 Like