Active laser beam sensor

Hi all,
I am new to Home Assistant, coming from a smart home with Google Assistant, IFTTT, SmartThings and Xiami products. The problem I need to solve while re-setupping all my home regards the presence detection in a room where a person is stationary (e.g.; on a couch). I read a lot about it on the forum, but what is not clear to me is what kind of hardware can I use to detect people entering/exiting the door. Active IR laser beam, of course, but there are some hardware I can buy that can send signals to something else via wifi or bluethoot? I am not good at electronic DIY, I’m a software developer.
Can you suggest me some ready-made active IR hardware compatible with Home Assistant?
Thanks in advance,
Joe

I don’t understand how detecting a person on the couch is solved by detecting people walking through the door…

Are you saying you ONLY want to detect people entering and exiting the room and not detect people in the room?

EDIT: And as far as I am aware, there is not “beam” sensor ready-made product. You would have to DIY something with a NodeMCU or similar

I guess he means that if you know people are in the room it then doesn’t matter if they remain still.

Heh, our parking garage at work does that - counts the cars in vs cars out… the sign frequently says “Spots available: -134”

1 Like

Hi
My garage is very small and is quite common that the car is parked 4cm away from the folded iron door…
Sometimes I park the car and it is not away from the movement area of the garage door, so I have to return to the car, and rear it 2 or 3 cm more.
So, I need to “built a line/wall”, that if it is interrupted the car is not on a safe position and it would turn on a few RED LEDs, when in safe position it would turn on a few GREEN LEDs.

I find this laser optic sensor, that says it would work up to 6m. My garage door have 5m. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005382850864.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.60f64ae4a2rfZT&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

Can you share the yaml that you use on ESPHome? What about the wiring?

About the laser optic sensor that I found, would I go for NPN or PNP? NO or NC?

Does anyone recommend other solution?

Thanks in advance!