šŸ’” Adaptive Lighting automatically adapts the brightness and color of your lights based on the sun's temperature but stops when you manually make a change

Not really, when enabled for the ZigBee group, the integration will override the state of your individual lights with the next update interval.

Strange. It worked for me only when I added, the individual lights as well as the groups. Had this issue only with zigbee bulbs. I have a mix of ikea, sengled and osram bulbs.

Specifically, for me it would switch on lights that were part of the group but off (because the group is still in on state for HA/the integration).

Anyone struggling with the option whether to choose ā€œrgbā€ over ā€œcolor_tempā€? They both have their pros and cons.

Iā€™m running RGB+CCT led strips from Aliexpress, and controlling them with Gledopto Zigbee-controller. Originally I had so called ā€œ1IDā€ controllers where you basically had either the ā€œColor Temperatureā€ -mode (controlling on Cool and White leds), or the ā€œRGBā€ -mode (only RGB leds). Just a few days ago I moved to ā€œGledopto Mix -controllerā€ that will mix CW/WW + RGB for a smoother transition from white to colour. Itā€™s clearly a much better controller, but it didnā€™t solve my problem Iā€™m describing below.

My optimal lighting setup would be having 5500K bright clear white for the daytime, and when going closer to sunset, the light would gradually approach a nice 2700K yellowā€™ish tint. And during the evening and early night I would like to have the light dim to orange around 2000K.

The problem with ā€œrgbā€ / ā€œcolor_tempā€ option is the following:
When choosing the ā€œcolor_tempā€ Iā€™m getting nice clean whites in the range 2700K-5500K. So optimal for daytime. The warmest the light can ever reach is ā€œyellowā€, even if setting the light to 2000K.
If I choose ā€œrgbā€, I can reach that nice orange and nice 5500K bright white (now with the mix-controller), but the rgb-transition in between is just horrible. The color transition completely misses the yellow, and thereā€™s transition to ugly pinkish hue between 5500K and 2000K.

Before switching to the mix-controller, I had two separate ā€œAdapive Lightingā€ entries for this led-strip with were otherwise identical, but other had ā€œrgbā€ control and other ā€œcolor_tempā€ control. I would use ā€œcolor_tempā€ during daytime, and at a specific time (1h after sunset) disable this entry and enable ā€œrgbā€ variant. Thereā€™s a very noticeable transition from yellow to orange at this point. But it worksā€¦
Now after this long post (sorry for that) Iā€™m asking if thereā€™s any solution for my problem how to get smooth transition from 5500K to 2000K without crossing that ugly pink? I see a solution where the transition curve RGB-values would be configurable from a lookup-table, or if there could even be 3 or 4 configurable points along the way.

Has anyone been able to get this to play nice when the initial ā€˜turn-onā€™ is from a smart wall switch?

Here is what Iā€™ve been messing around with:

1. Caseta Diva dimmer where I put the dimmer slider at minimum in case of being turned on in the middle of the night

2. Catch the state change with either an automation or NodeRed to update the brightness

3. 2-5 second delay before the switch updates to the adaptive lighting value. Toggling strictly with Home Assistant or motion will eliminate this problem but I still need/want to use the wall switch at times for turning on or off.

I have the Caseta Diva dimmer switch. Itā€™s connected to 7x waffer 2" down lights. Iā€™m not sure how much the pertains to your situation, but I can share what Iā€™ve learned. With having 7 lights on the switch, it seems they need enough power on the first turn-on to get them all to come on without much delay. After experimenting, I was able to set the low Trim in the Lutron app to 4%, but the wall dimmer has to stay at 18% for itā€™s initial turn-on brightness. Once power is flowing, it can dim very low, but it does need that initial power, takes a second, and then Adaptive kicks on.

Yo.

I spent a fair bit reading through this and some other threads last night and canā€™t figure this out.

AL is working (lights are adapting).

My problem is that when I run a script or automation that sets a light at a specific brightness AL takes over. I was under the impression that turning on AL takeover control was going to disable AL in this case.

Iā€™ve taken to adding a ā€œset manual controlā€ to my script, or turning off adaptive lighting on another automation and then turning it back on.

Is there a better approach that Iā€™m missing?

And, is there an actual list of ā€œmanual controlā€ entities that I can reference to see what is or is not flagged as manual control at any time?

Thank you so much!

No, I think thatā€™s currently the only way.

Oh!

This whole last couple weeks Iā€™d been thinking that AL would automatically recognize manual adjustments and disable itself for that light. I thought that was the purpose of the first two settings. In my screenshot.

detect_non_ha_changes does not seem to work, and take_over_control really only works with light.turn_on. Any other services (like ZigBee scene activation) do not trigger manual control. But I agree that the documentation paints a different picture.

1 Like

copy that, thank you for your experience.

and take_over_control really only works with light.turn_on.

That fills in for me why I was getting inconsistent UX. Thanks!

We should really improve that documentation then make sure that this is clear. Does anybody have a suggestion of how to improve it?

1 Like

Maybe add a point about scene enitities not triggering manual control (donā€™t know how hard it would be to instead intercept those as well)? And what does detect_non_ha_changes actually do? It definitely does not detect the state changes caused by applying a Z2M scene.

I can take a whack at this if Iā€™m clear what it does and doesnā€™t do.

As of right now my understanding is that take over is only functional with the service call light.turnon. otherwise set manual control is needed to disrupt AL.

and also not sure about detect_non_ha_changes either.

Is there a list of currently set manual control entities that can be inspected?

I think you can set manual control for the three of the four switches provided by the integration (either the overall switch or separately for brightness and color - not for sleep mode obviously).

What I mean is to inspect individual light entities that have been set to manual control. Maybe Iā€™m misunderstanding again.

ie. If I set manual control and specify a light with the second option, would this be reflected anywhere within the UI, or a file/database?

According to the docs, an event adaptive_lighting.manual_control is fired. I donā€™t think there is any way to query the manual control state.

Thanks, that got me to look into the ā€œeventsā€ section in docs and developer settings. Itā€™s not something I understood before. It appears you can monitor for the event being ā€œfiredā€, but I canā€™t tell yet if thereā€™s any type of logging beyond that.

These events were recorded when I ran a script that sets manual control

Iā€™m having some issues where lights set to manual control (via take_over_control) then do not stop being manually controlled after being turned off, then turned back on via Home Assistant.

Does anyone know if there is a setting to control this?
I know I could set an automation to turn off manual controlā€¦ but I thought the expected behaviour is that it would turn off by itself when the light was turned off.

What I did is set manual control off once Iā€™m finished with it. Or cycle the master AL switch.

Edit - I guess I have to ask, after all my sorting things out. When you say ā€œvia take_over_controlā€ what do you mean? Having the switch in configuration turned on?