šŸ’” Adaptive Lighting automatically adapts the brightness and color of your lights based on the sun's temperature but stops when you manually make a change

Agreed. You can test this by adding extra loads (bulbs) to the circuit and see whether the symptom going away.
The remedy from Lutron is to add a load called ā€œLUT-MLCā€ to the circuit. And I am pretty sure there are tons of equivalent devices out there that does the same - you do not absolutely need LUT-MLC.

If it is not ghostingā€¦ I have no idea.

1 Like

@NiceMarmut @k8gg
Never heard of that but Iā€™ll try to test it. The LED strip had two seperate strips of which I only used one. Iā€™ve just connected the other one to increase the load.

Iā€™ll see if it still happens, thanks so far :slight_smile:

Okay the second LED strip did not help unfortunately. Not sure if the second strip was even sufficient to test this.

Iā€™ve ordered a different LED strip (partly because this one is not as good as I expected) and will test it out in the same way. Maybe thatā€™ll help

Is it better to buy lights with RGB or tunable white for AL?

You could try installing a bypass such as this. They simply get wired in parallel to the light.

Does anyone know how I can use this integration to do the exact opposite of what I want it to do? Instead of having lights adapt to the sunā€™s temperature throughout the day, I want my outdoor lights to turn on after sunset, get brighter until midnight, and then start ramping down until they turn off at sunrise. Is this possible using this integration? Thanks!

I suppose you could create one light entity in Adaptive Lighting, then create a template light which is has the opposite attributes (eg: brightness = 100-AL_brightness) etc. then use that template light as your control for the outdoor lights.

I set up AL yesterday with an early sunrise at 2am setting bc I want lights to be cool colored already in the morning.

Woke up in the night to see all lights configured turned on!

Maybe this is to be expected but I was thinking that AL only intercepts calls to adapt the lights, not turn them on by itself on sunrise? Either way, can I achieve what I need?

Thanks!

Is it possible to control when the color temperatur will be the coolest? If I wake up at 7am for work Iā€™d probably want cooler colors to signal my body to wake up.

The sunrise/sunset settings only affect the brightness though

Is it possible to use Adaptive Lighting to just change brightness? Iā€™ve been trying to use it to change only the brightness of my LIFX lights (because they have a theme selected), so I just want the brightness to go up and down throughout the day. Unfortunately, Iā€™ve found that for some reason this integration changes the colors of the theme to be 1 single color instead of multiple when it changes brightness. Has anyone used LIFX lightstrips/candle/tiles with this integration? Or should I look elsewhere?

Simply turn off the ā€˜adapt colorā€™ switch for the lights you only want to adapt brightness.

1 Like

There are things you can turn on/off. See the documentation under service section:
GitHub - basnijholt/adaptive-lighting: Adaptive Lighting custom component for Home Assistant

Ah - Dave has mentioned the same.

Thanks, seems that I overlooked this obvious feature. My issue I think is probably with the LIFX Integration. The LIFX Z strips donā€™t have the issue of changing from a theme to 1 color using this integration (even with the color change switch on, weirdly enough). However, the LIFX candle does have this issue, even with that switch disabled.

I tested both the LIFX Candle and Z Strip by applying a multi-color theme and manually changing the brightness, and the Z Strip retained its theme while changing brightness, but the Candle changes to a single color when changing brightness.

Seems like this integration works fine, must be an issue with LIFX. Thanks for the help though!

Hi, after a break of a couple of years Iā€™m reactivating my HA again. I was hoping that by now somebody has found a solution to get rid of the transition effect with philips hue bulbs - as there doesnā€™t seem to be a way to ā€œpre-stageā€ them while theyā€™re still off.

I tried to use the apply service that someone recommendedā€¦but it doesnā€™t seem to solve the problem (or Iā€™m doing something wrongā€¦)

Anybody with hue bulbs has found a solution to this?

Best regards!

Does anyone know of a way to get the color-temperature change to behave as a step change, the same way the brightness change does? Iā€™d like to specify a single daytime color temperature to hold all day, and then a warmer color temperature for the morning/evening, with a nice transition between them at sunrise and sunset. But right now I can only find the settings to have AL keep adjusting the color temperature continuously throughout the day, which isnā€™t what I want (and unfortunately the webapp isnā€™t working right now, so I canā€™t use that to Press All the Buttons).

Hi all,
Iā€™ve been having some trouble getting Adaptive Lighting to work properly with my Hue bulbs (using Zigbee groups & bindings). Iā€™ve posted more details here and would greatly appreciate if anyone can give me any troubleshooting advice! :pray:

Iā€™m also having recent problems with ZigBee lights and adaptive lighting.

Theyā€™ve worked reliably for a long time but arenā€™t adapting colour or brightness recently. I have to toggle the bulbs off then on to get them to adapt.

All my non-ZigBee lights are adapting just as expected.

Reloading the integration or toggling the adaptive lighting switches doesnā€™t help.

Amazing addon, thanks. Already added one feature request though Iā€™m sure you are swimming in those.
Two points:

• could you clarify in the documentation the behavior of transition_until_sleep. Based on the web app, it seems like it basically will continue adapting the COLOR to match sleep until midnight. But the documentation (in the UI as well) refers to all sleep settings which seems to imply the the sleep brightness might also be taken into account ,which might be a bit odd to me. Iā€™m not sure if this is a recent change and maybe the web app is out of date. Either way I will discover tonight :smiley: but it would be good to improve the documentation slightly.
  • When it says prefer RGB over color temp, not sure if that is preferrable or not but in my Philips Hue it performs a lot worse. Itā€™s a bit unclear if this option is added as a workaround for lights that do not support white temp.
  • Is it correct that the only way to detect if a light entity is being adapted i to (a) enable showing the attributes for the switch and (b) check the manual control list and make sure the light is NOT in there? If so, would it be possible to have a more explicit attribute that shows what IS being adapted. Checking instead the negative might miss a light that is being adapted. And to clarify, Iā€™d like this feature both for debugging but more importantly to show in my Dashboard which lights are being adapted with a small icon.

Thanks again!!

Hi I have a problem where adaptive lighting doesnā€™t seem to work with zigbee zha light groups. If I turn on each individual light then it works correctly. Do I need to use standard light group helpers instead of a zigbee group?

Answering my own question. I got this working now with zigbee groups. I had to add both the zigbee group name and the individual lights when I created the integration entries for each room. All lights now work correctly.