ADB (AndroidTV) Broken in Node Red after a recent update

For a while now suddenly my major automation to turn on and off my entertainment center has been broken.

I just today finally decided to take a close look at the issue.

I knew it was a Home Assitant issue because both my Shield and Projector stopped functioning with my automations and both of those were controlled via the AndroidTV ADB intergration.

I think it was likely update 2023.5 that broke things, there was a re-name and I found some hints of things breaking for other people here: Android TV (Shield) no longer works - #4 by thierry-rhone

The fix to delete anything in my configuration.yaml or my config/custom components folder was not for me I had nothing in either of those places.

Here are some of my symptoms/testing to help find the root cause.

I can see from the Developer Tools my entity is working and valid.

If I go to Settings → Devices & Services → Android Debug Bridge
I will see two devices with 2 entities each.

So I see both my Projector and my Shield.

If I click on the Shield for example I can actually see a preview of what is on screen and if I click on any of the intergrated default controls to power off the device they work fine!

My automation is built in Node Red and its not using any crazy 3rd party intergration I an using a generic Call Service Node.

So my previously working node was
Call Service Node;
Name: Turn On Shield
Server: Home Assitant
Domain: androidtv
Service: adb_command
Entity ID: media_player.shieldtvadb
Data: expression {“command”: “input keyevent 224”}

If I trigger this manually with an inject node I get an error.
I tried changing this around in a million ways, including trying simpler commands like just “POWER” and I still get an error.

On the debug for Node Red the error I am getting sounds strange.
“Calls to RED.util.evaluateJSONataExpression must include a callback.”

error node red

I tried changing the domain to Remote and that didnt work.

Node Red is seeing the androidtv and remote domans, its seeing the proper services, and it is seeing the proper entities.

Just suddently the commands are failing with an error, but ADB obviously is not broken because it works from the main GUI as described above.

Some of the syntax for Node Red is a bit confusing for me, it might take a lot of googling to get things working sometimes but all this was working fine so I dont think its a syntax thing.

I have messed with this for hours now, I have compeltly run out of ideas and need some help from the pros.

If you need more info from me, walk me thru specifically how to get the data you need for further troubleshooting.

Thank You

Update:

Figures I figured it out myself just after posting.

I actually didnt find that error message in node red until just when I posted, when I googled that I found a reference to an out of date websocket plugin for Node Red.

Going into my palet manager and updating all of them fixed the issue.

But I now broke about 50 other automations, because I apparently also updated what ever used to be my “hue switch” nodes because I used Hue Wireless Dimmer switches as my “dumb” control for all my smart devices to make it easy for the family.

So thats a problem for tommorrow that I hope I can fix.