Add a "laststable" tag for docker images

It would be interesting to have a tag in docker that points to the latest version of the previous release.
It would be a tag like “latest”, “beta” or “rc” (not fixed).

Actually if the Docker image is pointing to “stable”, it is updated very often and to newly released versions (with few bug cleanup cycles).

For example, this “laststable” tag would point to version 2022.11.5 while 2022.12 is being developed and when 2023.1 is released it would move to 2022.12.9. And so on.

This way, it would only be updated once a month and to a more stable version.

Thank you!

The last point release of the previous version isn’t “more stable”.

Thanks for response.
Sorry if i misunderstood something, but if that’s so, why beta versions?
if 2022.12.9 is as stable as 2023.1.0, all beta versions 2023.1.0bN would not be necessary.
I thought that between version 2022.12.9 and 2023.1.0 new features were included and hence the beta versions.
And that’s why I assumed that the stability of 2023.1.0 would be lower.

The point of beta versions is that the stable releases are, well, stable.

That’s not to say that 2023.2.0 is going to be totally bug free, but there’s also no guarantee that 2023.1.7 (or whatever we get to) is totally bug free.

You’ll find many threads discussing “the most stable” version. The TL/DR is that no stable release is unstable by design. There’s always a risk of bugs, and there’s always a chance that you’re one of the people who discover some stability impacting bug in a version that everybody else calls stable.

2023.1.7 is by design more stable than 2023.1.0. That is how it works. The .0 releases are the only releases that introduce new features and by extension, the ones most likely to introduce new bugs. Sure, 2023.1.7 could have a bug that affects your setup that 2022.12.9 did not have, but it has less of a chance of having a bug new bug compared to 2022.1.0.

That is how versions become “more stable” in general. More time that goes by without new feature releases, leading to a higher chance that any new bugs introduced have been found and reported (and hopefully fixed). A really great example of this is how Microsoft does Windows feature releases or how Node.js does LTS releases. For Windows, feature releases are pushed out to small “ring” of users and then pushed out to larger ring once it passes acceptance and then another one and another one until eventually it is “stable” enough to be pushed out to Enterprise users.

I see a huge number of users always for the same/similar things. People want a way to not have get pinged every couple of days there is a new version they have to update too. A slower and more stable release cycle then what currently exists. I think a “previous stable” release cycle that just keeps you on the previous monthly release is a great first step towards though.