Add API_BASE_URL Option for OpenAI Integration to Support Multiple Endpoints

I think it would be super useful if we could add an option to set a custom API_BASE_URL for the OpenAI integration in Home Assistant. This way, we could easily use different endpoints like Groq, Azure, and OpenRouter that follow the OpenAI API format without having to set up separate integrations for each one. This essentially makes the OpenAI integration one for all of OpenAI’s API format, not just OpenAI’s implementation of it.

1. Flexibility and Convenience: Many of us use multiple services that are compatible with the OpenAI API. Being able to setup new ones them by just changing a URL would save a lot of hassle. For example, Azure OpenAI might have specific benefits that make it preferable in some cases, vs Groq or OpenRouter, etc

2. Advanced Settings Already Exist: We already have advanced settings for things like Temperature in the OpenAI integration. Adding a base URL option would fit right in with these settings, giving us more control without making things too complicated. Changing it might break some things regarding Assist control as not all models support functions required, but that’s to be expected with advanced settings?

By having this ability we are not limited to just OpenAI, but can use any service that uses their API format:

It seems there was a PR that was already rejected with this change, but I disagree and think it would be useful as many different sources support the openAI endpoint. I think change would be more useful now.

I agree this would be great to have, I want to use Azure OpenAI, and currently have no way to do so.

I did find this HACS add-on that allows this functionality, I now have Azure OpenAI working in HA.

1 Like

@vcdx71 Yes, I’ve been using that as well! I was thinking to avoid two integrations that do relatively the same thing, the official one could add support for the BASE_URL simplifying the process for advanced users who would like to have that advanced option!

I think the original intent of that Extended integration was to add support for controlling devices via Cloud LLMs but now that is part of the core integration? It would be nice if they incorporate other features from that extension as well!

Yes I agree, that would be my preference as well.

Agree. If that was the case, with Lite LLM you could proxy in any LLM (local or cloud enabled) and decouple the LLM integration from which model you chose to use.

I’m torn on this one.

On one hand I want this functionality. On the other hand there is nothing in advanced config at this stage that would entirely break the integration.

Changing the url would.

But, I think that someone(me) should put a PR in on the extended version with a list of drop in replacements preconfigured along with their available models.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but function calling is a requirement right?

Eg:
Groq - llama3-70b-8192, mixtral-8x7b-32768 https://api.groq.com/openai/v1/models

If anyone has any insight on what a model needs to have for this to work then I’m sure I can collate a decent list.

Yes it looks like function calling required, the tools are created and passed to the chat completions class:

tools = [
    _format_tool(tool, llm_api.custom_serializer) for tool in llm_api.tools
]

I like using OpenRouter since they support most models using OpenAI API format. They also format all tooling to match OpenAI if they are different and have a list of models that support function calling:
openrouter.ai/models?supported_parameters=tools

However, I feel like a list of specific models and endpoints would be difficult to maintain and I also think it’s fine that messing with advanced settings can break things? Adding the BASE_URL seems the simplest to maintain and maximizes the potential compatibility?

I would really love native support for other models - especially Groq. With the release of their new models, using ChatGPT just feels… wrong, lol. But seriously, the speed and privacy factors make Groq a better choice for me and since it’s a relatively simple fix I’d love to have this added.

It seems another pull request for this feature was denied recently:

It was also denied multiple other times, HA devs really don’t want us to have the advanced option it seems:
#94051, #94341, #99517, #101356, #121105

Well, that’s unfortunate, boo.

Oh wow, also, their reasoning is incredibly flawed and dismissive. “It would make things more confusing” isn’t a good reason to not implement such a small change. It could even be hidden by an easy “advanced options” filter. Locking HA users into OpenAI unless they’re willing to mod using HACS is really frustrating.

I am all for OS projects being UX friendly - most aren’t and that’s a huge limiter. But this isn’t asking for a major redesign, and it isn’t asking for something that would have to be complex for the user.

Sigh. I purchased HA Green but, honestly, I’m starting to regret it.

2 Likes

The HA devs need to rethink this one. It’s easy enough to work around, but they shouldn’t be making decisions or making things difficult for their customers this way. I’m really curious what the motivation is here.

2 Likes