Add light state awareness for one-way, Assumed State switches - LightwaveRF and others

The goal of this project was to devise a method of showing at least the correct on/off status of LightwaveRF Gen 1switches when they are controlled manually. The same method should work for many other kinds of lights switches and mains sockets classed as Assumed State.

I’ll update the project on Github as it moves along: https://github.com/ronschaeffer/hass-light-state

It’s been a constant irritation since I started using Domoticz before Home Assistant that my home automation system was unaware if I turned lights on and off at the wall. Putting aside the fact that I’d spent a substantial amount of money on LightwaveRF switches, I couldn’t find another option I was happy enough to swap them out for:

• Smart bulbs don’t pass the partner approval test. “Normal” switches are a must.
  • Options for my no-neutral-at-the-switch UK lighting system are extremely limited, and most of the few options don’t support dimming.
  • LightwaveRF has only just published an API for their Gen 2 two-way, presumably Cloud Polling switches after promising it for two years, and they’re shockingly expensive.
  • For all their shortcomings, LightwaveRF Gen 1 switches still look great.

After mulling over lots of options to add state awareness for the switches and thinking that the hardware was going to be the hard part, it finally dawned on me that this was something I could do with some cheap Sonoffs.

The hard part proved to be the learning curve to get to grips with states, templates, and the REST API in Home Assistant. Thanks to @thomasloven , @AhmadK, @123 , @petro and @finity for answering my questions here along the way.

The solution is working flawlessly so far.

For the project, I’ve used:

• Home Assistant
  • Sonoff Basics, Sonofff POWs and Shelly 1s - You’ll need one of any of them per switch. UPDATE: Some smart bulbs also work. See bulbs later in the thread.
  • configuration.yaml edits under homeassistant, light, automation and rest_command. No custom components, Python, automation packages or shell scripts are required.
  • @OttoWinter 's excellent ESPHome firmware and Hassio add on - Neither are necessary, but they’ll make your life easier.
  • MQTT broker

and, of course, the original switches and the 433MHz RF transceiver that sends commands to them.

Background

Home Assistant classifies IoT devices according to its state awareness and method https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2016/02/12/classifying-the-internet-of-things/.

Classifier Description
Assumed State We are unable to get the state of the device. Best we can do is to assume the state based on our last command.
Cloud Polling Integration of this device happens via the cloud and requires an active internet connection. Polling the state means that an update might be noticed later.
Cloud Push Integration of this device happens via the cloud and requires an active internet connection. Home Assistant will be notified as soon as a new state is available.
Local Polling Offers direct communication with device. Polling the state means that an update might be noticed later.
Local Push Offers direct communication with device. Home Assistant will be notified as soon as a new state is available.

Devices like LightwaveRF Gen 1 light switches are in the Assumed State category. Home Assistant can issue commands to turn on, set the brightness, etc. But, it is unaware of any other state changes, such as controlling the lights at the wall switch.

This project moves LightwaveRF Gen 1 and similar switches from the Assumed State to the Local Push category with a few caveats:

• HA isn’t actually getting state updates directly with the switches. It gets them from another device, such as a Sonoff Basic, that mirrors the power state of the lights.
  • There is a lag of some seconds before the Home Assistant shows the updated status due to boot time of the Sonoff at power on and then the MQTT keep-alive time at power off.
  • Manually-set brightness level is not known, but it may be possible to approximate in a later variant of the project. (See below.)
Installation & operation

The key enabler is a Sonoff Basic, Sonoff POW or Shelly 1 connected to the lighting ring. When you turn on the lights at the wall switch, the Sonoff boots and sends an MQTT birth message which triggers an automation in Home Assistant. The automation in turn calls a rest_command to change the state of the light entity in Home Assistant to on, for example, without actually calling the light.turn_on service.

It is possible to do a quick and dirty implementation which simply calls light.turn_on, for example, but that would cause problems when brightness state is added later. Plus, all of my painful trial and error with rest_commands and templates would be for nothing. :wink:

The hardware set up is simple. I show a Shelly 1 here, but the connections are the same for a Sonoff Basic.

In my tests, the Shelly 1s and Sonoffs stayed powered on down to 5% brightness.

When you manually turn off the switch, the Sonoff powers off and disappears from the network, prompting the MQTT broker to send its last will message. That triggers another automation and rest_command pair to set the light status to off.

The automations also run when you turn the light on or off through Home Assistant. They’re set up to keep the same state attributes, though, so they’re invisible to the user.

The MQTT messages are retained, so Home Assistant will show the correct state even after a restart.

Obligatory mains electricity = danger notice

Do not electrocute yourself or burn your house down. Be sensible.

Home Assistant configuration examples

I use a split configuration. This project required additions to following files:

configuration.yaml
# Excerpt from homeassistant
homeassistant:
  customize_glob: !include customize_glob.yaml

# Excerpt of split configuration
automation: !include automations.yaml
light: !include lights.yaml
rest_command: !include rest_command.yaml
automations.yaml
# Set light status to on and keep HA known brightness level if >= 1; Show as full brightness if not; Set other attributes

- alias: light status update to on
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: mqtt
    topic: 'light_status/+/availability'
  condition:
    condition: template
    value_template: "{{ trigger.payload|string == 'online' }}"
  action:
    - service: rest_command.light_status_update_on
      data_template:
         endpoint: "{{ (trigger.topic.split('/')[1]) }}"
         friendly_name: "{{ state_attr('light.'+trigger.topic.split('/')[1], 'friendly_name') }}"
         supported_features: "{{ (state_attr('light.'+trigger.topic.split('/')[1], 'supported_features'))|int }}"
         assumed_state: false
         brightness: >
           {% if (state_attr('light.'+trigger.topic.split('/')[1], 'brightness'))|int >= 1 %}
             {{ (state_attr('light.'+trigger.topic.split('/')[1], 'brightness'))|int }}
           {% else %}
           {% endif %}

# Set light status update to off without setting brightness
# Also keep current attribute values for friendly_name, supported_features & assumed_state
- alias: light status update to off
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: mqtt
    topic: 'light_status/+/availability'
  condition:
    condition: template
    value_template: "{{ trigger.payload|string == 'offline' }}"
  action:
    - service: rest_command.light_status_update_off
      data_template:
         endpoint: "{{ (trigger.topic.split('/')[1]) }}"
         friendly_name: "{{ state_attr('light.'+trigger.topic.split('/')[1], 'friendly_name') }}"
         supported_features: "{{ (state_attr('light.'+trigger.topic.split('/')[1], 'supported_features'))|int }}"
customize_glob.yaml
# Set lights to assumed_state false to force frontend to show toggles instead of lightning bolts
"light.*":
lights.yaml
# Set up LightwaveRF light switches as lights under the rfxtrx component and name them; Obviously, this would be different if you use a different controller or switches
- platform: rfxtrx
  automatic_add: false
  signal_repetitions: 3
  devices:
    0a14001605668002010080:
      name: Living Room
    0a14001905668003010080:
      name: Living Room Lamp
    0a14001b05668401010080:
      name: Dining Room
    0a14001e05668402010080:
      name: Dining Room Pendants
    0a14000505668101010080:
      name: Garden

# etc., etc.
rest_command.yaml
# Update light state to on and set other attributes
light_status_update_on:
  url: 'http://localhost:8123/api/states/light.{{ endpoint }}'
  method: POST
  headers: 
    authorization: !secret api-token-with-bearer
    content-type: 'application/json'
  payload: >-
    {
      "state": "on",
      "attributes": {
        "brightness": {{ brightness|int }},
        "friendly_name": "{{ friendly_name }}",
        "assumed_state": "{{ assumed_state }}",
        "supported_features": {{ supported_features }}
      }
    }

# Update light state to off and set other attributes
light_status_update_off:
  url: 'http://localhost:8123/api/states/light.{{ endpoint }}'
  method: POST
  headers: 
    authorization: !secret api-token-with-bearer
    content-type: 'application/json'
  payload: >-
    {
      "state": "off",
      "attributes": {
        "friendly_name": "{{ friendly_name }}",
        "assumed_state": "{{ assumed_state }}",
        "supported_features": {{ supported_features }}
      }
    }

ESPHome device configuration example

Here’s an example configuration for a Sonoff Basic. The key here is that your MQTT birth and LWT messages follow a consistent structure that can be processed by a templates in HA. Look in automations.yaml to see how that happens.

# Basic config
esphome:
  name: light_status_study
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

# Enable WiFi
wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_pwd

# Enable ESPHome native API; Optional; Home Assistant doesn't actually have to be aware of the Sonoff itself; HA just needs to receive MQTT messages from it
api:

# Enable OTA firmware update
ota:

# Enable MQTT; Choose your topics and payload carefully
mqtt:
  broker: !secret mqtt_broker
  port: !secret mqtt_port
  client_id: ls_study
  username: !secret mqtt_username
  password: !secret mqtt_password
  discovery: false
  birth_message:
    topic: 'light_status/study/availability'
    payload: 'online'
  will_message:
    topic: 'light_status/study/availability'
    payload: 'offline'
  keepalive: 5s

Software, switches, controllers & components

I used the following in my testing. I’ve also include some comments on alternatives.

Software
  • Hassio 0.86, 0.87, 0.88 and 0.89 in a Docker container on Ubuntu Server 18.04
  • (Optional) ESPHome Hassio add-on (see below) https://esphome.io/guides/getting_started_hassio.html
  • Mosquitto MQTT broker running in a separate Docker container. But, the Hassio MQTT add-on or any other broker shoudl also work.
Light switches and controllers
WiFi relays
  • Sonoff Basics with ESPHome 1.11.2 firmware

• Started out with a Shelly 1 with stock firmware, which supports MQTT and can be made to work out of the box. But, ESPHome offers a lot more MQTT flexibility. Shelly 1s are very small compared to Sonoff Basics but more expensive. I will be flashing them with ESPHome at some point in order to use in places where space is tight.

• Also tested Sonoff Basics with Tasmota v6.4.1, but they too unstable. They kept disappearing from the network. Also, ESPHome lets you set the MQTT keep_alive time while Tasmota does not.

• Also tested a Sonoff POW with ESPHome and Tasmota. On/off status operation is the same as with the Sonoff Basic, and these may be a means of approximating brightness state.

Brightness state (future)

It looks possible to approximate the current brightness by looking at the realtime voltage as measured with a device like the Sonoff POW or a Shelly 2.5. In my tests with halogen GU10s, it looks like voltage varies enough across the range of brightness that it can be used as a proxy for the current brightness level.

I connected one of the GU10s to the output terminals on the Sonoff POW instead of connecting it directly to the lighting ring, and measured the following.

Dimming tests with halogen GU10s
Brightness % Measured voltage
100 220
90 205
80 192
70 177
60 158
50 132
40 110
30 94
20 77
10 56

My idea is to set a range for each 10% change in brightness. A voltage measurement in a given range sent via MQTT would trigger an automation to update the indicated brightness state accordingly using a a rest_command. I’ll play around with this when I have more time.

Tests with LED GU10s look less promising so far. Overall, the voltage range was smaller, and voltage plateaued at about 50% brightness. I need to give this more thought.

Possible next steps

1. Include indication of approximate brightness when using Sonoff POWs or Shelly 1s.

2. Refine the HA config. I’d really like to get to one automation and one rest_command to handle both on and off. I couldn’t figure out how to do that without setting brightness to 0 when off instead of the absence of a value for brightness as appears in dev-state when HA controls the light switches directly.

3. See if using ESPHome’s new native API is a good alternative to MQTT.

2 Likes

I like it. It’s a very innovative way to get the status of dumb lights/switches. You’ve definitely got a very thorough write-up, too. that’s always very much appreciated.

Now, i’ll have to figure out the places i can incorporate this into my house. I’m sure I’ll have a few. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hopefully others can try this out and give feedback/ideas for any necessary improvements.

What is the lag time between powering up the sonoff/shelly and it reporting its state?

Thanks. It’s about 8 seconds to update to “on” with a Sonoff Basic and about 4 seconds to update to “off” with MQTT keep-alive set at 3 seconds. Off update time changes accordingly with keep-alive setting change, of course.

Here’s a short video showing it operation: https://goo.gl/3iW15H

Ok, it’s an interesting project. I spent months thinking about similar thing to get state of my bathroom extractor fan controlled by RF-enabled wall switch in HA. Same thing - HA doesn’t know if one switches it on manually.
Initially I hoped to rely on just a signal from powered on smart device, but I’m glad I went further - just because these devices tend to went offline (and back online) randomly, and I don’t like it. It’s not to say it’s not acceptable, it might be for some, but there is a better approach I’m currently using.

Also, why are you using MQTT with esphome when it natively integrates with HA? I especially have chosen esphome because of that and my project works well without MQTT bit :wink:

Sorry if it sounds as criticism, but I just wanted to point out some obvious flaws of your approach that may result in frustration of users later on.

I hope to publish my project soon as well, just ironing some software bits to get more accuracy (it’s not just getting the state)…

I had the same problem with Tasmota, but so far ESPHome is holding up well. I don’t think that I’ve had one drop off yet.

I started out with MQTT on the factory Shelly firmware and stuck with it through Tasmota and ESPHome, because I understand it well.

Trying out the ESPHome API is on my list of things to do. I’ve only just moved over to it. @ottowinter says that there is something similar to the MQTT LWT available to know when the Sonoff drops off. I haven’t looked into it yet.

Looking forward to seeing your project!

It might depend on so many factors… dodgy AP, interference from another devices etc…
My Wemos D1 mini flashed esphome does it a about 10 times a day :\ Haven’t tried esphome on Sonoff, but will give it a go soon as it’s a great tool.

Possibly. As I have a button attached to a GPIO exported to HA as binary_sensor.bathroom_extractor_fan, I created this binary_sensor to display the node’s availability:

- platform: template
  sensors:
    available_bathroom_extractor_fan_sensor:
      friendly_name: "bathroom extractor fan sensor"
      entity_id: binary_sensor.bathroom_extractor_fan
      device_class: "connectivity"
      value_template: >
        {% set sensor = "binary_sensor.bathroom_extractor_fan" %}
        {{ is_state(sensor, 'on') or is_state(sensor, 'off') }}

Actually, I wrote it some time ago, and now I think the following should do the job as well:
{{ not is_state(sensor, ‘unavailable’) }}

You can define a button in esphome and then monitor its state to detect when it’s available.

In case anyone is interested, this method also works with some smart ESP8266 light bulbs. For example, flashing these bulbs with ESPHome works. In that case, you don’t need a separate Sonoff/Shelly.

Caveats:

• You can’t adjust the brightness of smart bulbs with the LightwaveRF switches. It’s on/off only.
  • I’ve tried a few other ESP8266 bulbs and socket adapters such as Lohas bulb, Teckin bulb and Sonoff bulb socket. As far as I can tell, they can’t be made to play well with LightwaveRF switches. All three flickered or occasionally switched on and off.

Hey! Thanks for your idea, I’ll try using it in my actual iot nightmare: the evils 3 ways, chapter: insteon.

Basically the insteon switchs links one each others, and in the real life you toggle one and the other instantly toggle to match the state but only report the change on the pushed one, so if you turn on a 3w switch and not the main the light on HA never shows as on. This can help.

If you change on HA the state of the light only change the state on the main switch and not on the other 3w in the real life (this part is easy with some automation to every switch linked). The problem is bringing the real life to the real state of the switch on HA.

With insteon it’s important to avoid push messages to the hub cause it’s very laggy.

Reading my problem if you have any idea or tip it will be appreciated.

1 Like

In my case, i’m only have switch. On - off .

So you talked about you can automate the process with only one automation.

Can you comment how?

1. Refine the HA config. I’d really like to get to one automation and one rest_command to handle both on and off. I couldn’t figure out how to do that without setting brightness to 0 when off instead of the absence of a value for brightness as appears in dev-state when HA controls the light switches directly.

I haven’t gone back to try yet. The system has been working flawlessly so far with the two separate automations and rest commands, so I’ve just left it as-is so far.

I’ve updated the Github repository since my original post here. It is hopefully a bit clearer now.

I don’t know how the Insteon integration works. Do I understand correctly that you only have one light per 3-way switch group in HA, and that the behavior is like this?

1. Manually turn on the light with the master switch - HA sees the state change of the light.
  2. Manually turn on the light with the 3-way/slave switch - HA does not see that state change of the light.

If so, it sounds like my method will work for you. Just make sure that the devicename variable on the ESPHome-flashed Sonoff or Shelly is equivalent to the friendly name of the light, and that your light naming scheme across various lights is consistent in a way that can be extracted from the MQTT topic by a template.

Let me know if the behavior is different, and I’ll see if I can lend a hand.

Hello! Thanks for your answer, I made it, I finally made it.

Thanks for your idea, I implement it on Node RED, a input_boolean to detect when the switch is toggle via HA and now only sends the msg to the hub when really need it, so the traffic was not saturated.

This is my NR diagram, i’ll post my process for all my other partners with insteon so they can use your idea.

The process when push the switch updates the boolean almost instantly, when push the boolean update the real lights in 3-4 sec, as expected.

2 Likes

Great.

It’s no doubt easier to implement the logic and state change with Node RED. I’ll get around to trying it one day…

Perhaps I’m missing something, but if you’re adding a smart relay such as a Shelly (wired appropriately), can you not just ‘make the Lightwave switches dumb’ and let the Shellys do everything natively?

Or is it a cost thing, where Shelly 1s (and Sonoffs) are relatively cheap and to enable dimming, you need the more expensive Shelly 2 Dimmer?