[add-on] HassOS I2C Configurator

The host log shows this:
2.709093] i2c i2c-11: Added multiplexed i2c bus 0
2.710704] i2c i2c-11: Added multiplexed i2c bus 10

I see that, but I’m expecting i2c-1.

What is the use case you have for i2c? Do you have the device hooked up? What errors do you see during CLI startup? Can you share the output of dmesg from a no-protection-mode ssh terminal?

Apparently, HassOS isn’t consuming the “/boot/CONFIG/” files we expected it to consume. This suggests the system wasn’t rebooted, or HassOS has a problem and needs a bug report.

There’s always the official instructions to try before filing a bug report with Home Assistant. https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/enable_i2c/

Use case is this fan. I have followed the official guide, both directly connecting the SSD to another computer and through CLI. The files are there, the contents is ok, as you say it looks like somehow that configuration is not taken into account. Will look for the logs.

It works now: I used hassos-overlay\etc\modules-load.d\rpi-i2c.conf and somehow that worked…

Can you explain how it was used?

I have no idea to be perfectly honest, even though I would love to understand. Most instructions only change config.txt in the boot partition root and rpi-i2c.conf in CONFIG/modules. This post mentioned the hassos-overlay partition. I tried and was lucky. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

hi does I2c also work on mcp23017 and bme680? or is it pure integration to connect only SSD HDD?

I’m working on it. Please check back over the weekend.

This is only for configuring Home Assistant OS to enable I2C. You’ll need another addon or integration to communicate with specific devices.

new installation HA -32bit can’t recognize devices I tried 2 different I2C but unsuccessfully send log
2x restart hard
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/6rs6HNNmWt/

Your logs show i2c-1 device is enabled. Getting i2c to become available is the end of this add-on’s responsibility

I changed my Pi installation from an external USB SSD to an internal M.2 SSD inside the Argon One case (only attached the new bottom). I installed a new HassOS 5.10 and restored a snapshot.
Then I installed your Addon, booted two times and everything is working fine!

Great work! Thank you very much!

I added support for Raspian over the weekend. Should be fully supported.

Hi,

I get the following log after each reboot. Is that normal? What is this “Are you root?” thing?

Thanx

I don't see I2C.
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
no sda1 config found
no sdb1 available
no mmcblk0p1 available
This Configurator did it's job. Perform a hard-power-off reboot now.
You will need to reboot twice total, once to place the files, and again to activate the I2C.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.

Looks like it tried to mount and could not. You can remove this add-on. It’s not needed anymore.

Update to 0.11 and disable protection mode. This is what you should see with protection mode disabled

and this is with protection mode enabled.

I decided to let it try anyway instead of just stopping because I find it more useful.

Due to changes in APIs, you must now disable protection mode. We can no longer mount partitions with access to a device. Protection mode must be disabled to mount a partition.

Looks like they wanted to stop the shenanigans of getting 5 points of security on an add-on which performs dangerous tasks… :frowning:

On the plus side, I was able to ditch device, and privileges, netting this add-on a whole 2-extra points of security.

1 Like

I get the following error as a popup when I try to start the add-on. Any ideas?

Failed to start addon
500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.40/containers/cac3191a46205d98405a0e096606b9c6b0766e0b29a00ee6e24537fb1efc1f1b/start: Internal Server Error (“OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:370: starting container process caused: process_linux.go:459: container init caused: apply apparmor profile: apparmor failed to apply profile: write /proc/self/attr/exec: no such file or directory: unknown”)

Hi,
thanks for the immediate response and fix! Argonone active cooling works like a charm. You just saved me from going Karen.
BTW, do you know how to activate auto power on argon one after power cut and restore?

1 Like

What platform are you using?