Add-on: Home Assistant Google Drive Backup

Just noticed that my backups since 4 days ago went from 280 mb in size to 17 gb. Anyone else seen this?

Mine are looking fine. But I moved my database off my pi, so that could have something to do with it.

You could open the .tar and see what is eating up the space.

Have latest AddOn and no problems at all on latest HA (moment of written)

Seems to be the adb addon. Removed it from backup and back to normal.

Hi, firstly thanks for this amazing add on! I just moved my home assistant instance from an Ubuntu server laptop running in docker to a raspberry pi 4 using this add on. However now it still says ‘docker: true’ and the operating system info still relates to the old machine. Am I now running home assistant in docker on the raspberry pi? If not how do I get the system info to update? I’ve tried a restart of ha and full reboot of the pi but nothings updated! Sorry if these are stupid questions, this is the first time I’ve moved home assistant! On a plus note everything restored perfectly! Cheers

Unless you run Home Assistant in a venv (HA Core), you always have docker.

Ah ok, that makes sense then! Thanks for the reply!

added the repo and installed and ran into “Failed to install addon, [object Object]”

I am noticing the backup actually performs 10 mins after the set time in config. Not a big deal. I just have to adjust my redundant backup script to start a few minutes later so it doesn’t miss today’s. The backup file is only 550kb.

What is your problem today ? First you post a totally inappropriate message in the tasmoadmin topic, now here ?

1 Like

I think I get what you’re saying, it’s about Home Assistant broadly but I’ll try to be helpful. Home Assistant, in general, is very hard to use. Mostly
that’s because it’s an open source project run by volunteers. This means people generally can’t dedicate a lot of time to “polish” and usability. To make things worse, the community using it is very technically knowledgeable (think software engineers) which means they’re pretty tolerant of difficult setup experiences. Hell, I’ve been involved with software dev going on 15 years now and it still gets me frustrated. This add-on is no different, though I like to think it’s at least a little less confusing.

Unfortunately, that’s just where the home automation scene is right now. HA is infinitely configurable, but that’s comes at the cost of useability. I think people get drawn in by HA’s sexy screenshots, grand promises, and cheap hardware but are unaware of the hours or days it takes to get something useful working. And the constant maintenance. Even when set up well, it can be pretty unreliable. The barrier to get up and running is high. You might be better served by using something more “turn-key” like a smartthings hub that is much less flexible but much easier to use. Someday HA might get there but it’s not today or any time soon.

Say what??? It pretty much works out-of-the-box now with no configuration… That is certainly the goal.

Hi , have someone problem with Internal Server Error (#500) ? Cannot authenticate :confused:

Yeah, seems like the server might be down again. Bad timing for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Prathik,
I am not able to get it to work. why port 1627 and are ha_user and ha_pass are the ones with which I login?

I had to rebuild from a new image yesterday. I installed this add-on and went to log in to drive but also got the 500 error. Ended up downloading the snapshot from drive and pushing it through samba.

Once I restored from the snapshot, all was well. The add-on connected to drive and started pumping out snapshots again.

Weird little issue.

I run a seperate reverse proxy… so i access HA via https://home.domain.co.uk

when i go into Snapshots on the left and click on action > restore it gives me the dialog to go to “Open Snapshots”… When i click this, it adds the port number to my URL…

so it becomes https://home.domain.co.uk:8123:/hassio/snapshots

Obviously as i’m behind a reverse proxy this is wrong…

Is there any way to fix this?

Its been a while since I made an update, and now I’ve got the biggest one yet. Go to “Add-on store” -> Click the 3 Dots -> “Reload” to make the supervisor see the latest version.

Thanks to everone who has donated. Its not enough to quit my day job, but it is enough to ensure for project has the resources to keep running for the foreseeable future. Currently the donations are being used for:

• Purchasing a new domain, habackup.io, for the infrastructure to host the Drive Authentication component of the addon. “.io” domains don’t come cheap!
  • Costs associated with running that server reliably on Google Cloud.
  • Incredible quantities of “the best” Chipotle burrito bowls. Specifically extra brown rice, extra black beans, chicken, fajita veggies, green sauce, pico-de-gallo, cheese, guac, and eaten with chips (no fork).
  • Bribes for the wife, when she asks why I spend so much time on this.

The addon has been mostly rewritten to run asynchronously. You can see the changelog for details but this release fixes a few issues, makes a ton of quality of life improvements, and mostly sets the project up to be eaier to maintain in the future.

• A sync attempt can now be paused and resumed at will (entire project is now non-blocking, which makes the UI respond faster)
  • Bug reports now get pre-filled with a lot more useful debugging information
  • The project backend is now hosted at habackup.io
  • Some timestamps get rendered in a friendlier way
  • Added some more error dialogs to better explain why things might be going wrong
  • Updated language to reflect the “Home Assistant Core” and “Supervisor” rebranding

I do aggresive automated and manual testing, but can’t catch every problem, and this is a large update. If you see anything wrong, please consider using the new error reporting mechanism (“Actions” -> “Report a bug”) to make me aware of it. You can still post here, but those bug reports really help me track everything that might be wrong.

6 Likes

I almost forgot to add that you can still Buy me a coffee. This does a lot to help keep me motivated, and the money goes toward justifying the project’s continued existence.