Home Assistant Google Drive Backup
I’ve authored an add-on to serve as a complete solution to backing up Home Assistant snapshots to Google Drive. In particular it:
- Automatically creates new snapshots on a configurable schedule.
- Uploads any snapshots it finds to Google Drive.
- Automatically cleans up old snapshots in Home Assistant and Google Drive.
- Integrates with Home Assistant Notifications, and provides sensors you can trigger off of if something goes wrong.
- Provides a web interface for you to watch or control what its doing.
I’ve written this with a focus on reliability, ease of use, configurability, and thorough documentation. The effort was born out of the frustration I had trying to get the existing solutions to work reliably, and my aim is to create something that literally anyone can use.
Detailed instructions are at my repository:
- Add my repository, install the add-on.
- Check to see the default settings are to your liking, particularly the number of backups kept locally and in Google Drive.
- Start the add-on, then visit the web UI.
- Click the button to link your Google Drive account. Snapshots should start backing up immediately.
- Optionally, check out some of the sensor integrations on the github instructions.
I’m going for a “polished” feel with this, something that “just works”. Any feedback or criticism you guys have is appreciated.
Post here and I’ll get back to you, or you can file an issue in GitHub