Add-on: Home Assistant Google Drive Backup

I’m having problems just like these but only on my Samsung S21 android phone. Works fine using either Chrome or Edge on my pc.

Not sure if this will be helpful info or not.
I had that backups not showing up when I updated. It was limited to my external address, my internal address displayed properly. I cleared the cache on my browser and my external address started displaying correctly.

Using Chrome, on a Windows pc. HA docker on a rpi3.

I had updated my google connection at the same time.

so I decided to re-install, and saw something peculiar. After I had uninstalled, the repo had completely disappeared from the supervisor add-on panel. Maybe that would have been the issue all the time?

Anyhow, I was a bit shocked at the new options panel at first, showing the full config options twice, once for ‘backups’ and once for ‘snapshots’, along with some new terminology which didnt translate 1-1 with the previous version. Luckily I had 2 other installs with already had the update running, so I could easily copy.

After some initial copying of signatures (the simple buttons never work in my configs somehow) ive got it backup and running :wink: yeah.

thank you Stephen for one of the most vital add-ons I use. Enjoy the coffee! Hope you get lots of it.

I had the same issues for the “Waiting for backups…” and removing and reinstalling the add-on seems for now to have resolved it for me (at least for now). What’s strange is I was having it work fine in Firefox, but not Chrome that I normally use. Clearing the cache in Chrome didn’t help me either.

I saw the setting to close (selected) addons before backing up. Is this ever needed? It was my understanding that addons already have a setting whether they can be backed up cold or hot, isn’t this enough? Isn’t this used by google drive backup?

I added the feature a while back, before addons had the option to do it themselves. In the future I’ll make the setting less visible but I won’t be removing it.

I see. Are there any notable add-ons that still need the setting to your knowledge?

Where do you find that option ?

Looking at the influxdb add-on

Cold/hot backup is up to the addon developer to use. It’s not possible for the end user afaik to change this behavior. Apart from using the said setting in google drive backup.

Ah, I don’t think it is implemented yet in the influxdb add-on.

That may be true. Might as well add it to the list of stop/start add-ons in Google drive backup.

Hi, in my setup the add-on doesn’t create automatic backups at all, I’m struggling to understand why.
I opened an issue on github as well.

The parameters of my current configuration are:

max_backups_in_ha: 2
max_backups_in_google_drive: 0
days_between_backups: 1
backup_time_of_day: 01:00

but at 01:00 am no new backup is triggered. The attributes of the Backup State sensor are:

Last backup

Never

Last uploaded

Never

Backups in google drive

Backups in home assistant

Size in google drive

0.0 B

Size in home assistant

0.0 B

Backups

but the situation doesn’t change if there is for example one backup in the /backup folder: the attributes will correctly show the last (manual) backup created, but the add-on doesn’t trigger a new backup at the specified time (even if the total amount of backups is less than max_backups_in_ha)

@tigersoul
I’m not aware of any addons that still need it. It was originally made for Maria DB which does its own thing now. I only have personal experience with a handful of addons and all of them restore fine, except ESPHome for reasons I’ve never been able to figure out.

@Vinz87 can you respond on GitHub to the question I asked on your GitHub issue?

Good to know. It’s probably databases that are the most vulnerable and mariadb and influxdb is probably what most people use.

Hi, my fault: I’ve linked the wrong github issue.
Mine is here, which refers to the case I described in this post too.
Thanks

I am still having these warning about the add-on also if i have completely changed the configuration option ‘snapshot’ to ‘backup’:

21-10-26 18:36:00 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot' is deprecated, 'backup' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of UniFi Controller

Please report this to the maintainer of UniFi Controller

Unrelated to this addon

Thanks, but can you be more specific? Who is the maintainer?

As the Unifi controller is a community add-on, that would be frenck ( Franck Nijhof )

1 Like

The info (including links) is in the add-on: