Add-on in docker instance of home assisstant. Wy not? Is it comming?

Every time a want something more with home assistant i find a add-on to solve it. But i cant install add-on’s on my docker instance of home assisstent on my synology NAS. I don’t understant wy not. Is it comming in next versions?
Is there a bypass to install de add-on on my docker home assisstant?
All help is appriciated enormously!
Greetings from a just switched user from domoticz to home assisstant.

See here: Installation - Home Assistant

If you want the easy way to install add-ons use HAOS, if you want to use docker you also need to deploy and manage the containers for the add-ons yourself.

Is there a guide to do this in containers? (must say i didn’t search myself jet :slight_smile: )

It’s going to depend on the add on you want. In most cases you need to go see if the application the HA folks packaged as an add on (which is really just a docker container running on HAOS) has a docker container somewhere and then install and configure that. For instance, there is an add on for the MQTT broker. I’m running HA in a Docker container on my NAS, so I had to go to DockerHub and find it. You’re getting mostly the same thing, but it’s not click and install like with HAOS. Welcome to the wonderful world of managing your own Docker containers.

So no, there is no single guide to do this. There are probably lots of different guides depending on the exact thing you want to run in a container.

Here’s a more detailed discussion of add ons in HAOS versus Docker containers.

If your Synology supports running virtual machines that might be easier for you. Then you could install a virtual HAOS machine and get all the add-ons through that.

1 Like

Because addons are themselves docker containers. You cannot run containers inside containers.

Not a chance.

Your best bet is to install HAOS inside a VM, as fleskefjes said.

1 Like