Add-ons in Docker-based Home Assistant installs?

I don’t know if this should go in Feature Requests or here in Installation, but I’ve been wanting to use add-ons for a while now. If there’s no way to use add-ons when using Docker for Home Assistant, then is it easy to migrate to dedicated hardware (like a Pi) in the future?

Known, asked and answered many times. No addons for core or container. You’re on docker - you did that to manage your own containers - look for docker centric containers of same.

No this won’t change in the future. (search docker and addon in this forum and see how many times this gets asked and the flame wars that follow that ultimately ends up with no addons for core or container if you want that use HAOS or supervised. Reasons are I those other threads so I won’t rehash.

Define migrate.

You can migrate HA core to new hardware fairly easily. If you’re on core or container, restore is basically - copy of everything in your configuration folder. (including all hidden folders) Core can run backup but if you want automated restore of that backup you need a install mechanism that includes supervisor. (thats what does the restore) and it’s a great way to move to HAOS.

If you are on HAOS or supervised (btw: supervised is a trap as they say and rarely the right solution - don’t even attempt unless you’re an expert Linux admin) then you can restore to new hardware by restoring the backup - it’s hardware agnostic.

1 Like

Been running HA docker on an x86 for about 4 years and never had a need for any of the addons. Everything I have needed I have found a container for and Everything else was already manageable using docker.

3 Likes

The Pi would be a downgrade for most people, but you can migrate your current Home Assistant config to HAOS by using the backup feature. You can’t migrate any other software though - all of those you’ll have to set up manually (assuming that they all exist as add-ons).

The reason add-ons only exist for HAOS is that the Supervisor is a Docker manager (a bit like Portainer). That manages the stack, and is the only way to install software on HAOS. With Container you manage the stack yourself, and you can’t mix manual management with the Supervisor - that ends badly.

2 Likes

Which ones are you thinking of? We might be able to help you with the container equivalent.

You can run HA in both container and HAOS on a Pi.