Add Ons not allowing configuration and not showing as started when it actually starts

I have a brand new HA OS install that I installed on a Proxmox VM.

No matter what, when I install a new Add On, it doesn’t show up in the main Add On page. If I manually navigate to the add via the store, it shows as installed.

Then if I try to save a configuration, it will not save. And then if I navigate to the configuration page, it will show up saying " This add-on does not expose configuration for you to mess with…".

If I press start, it shows up as the add-on not having started. There is a red “Stopped” icon on the add-on page. However the add on does start!

I found another thread on this and @GitBasHub posted a great solution that helped: Addons not starting - #45 by GitBasHub

Basically I have to shut down the hardware and then restart it. Effectively power cycling it (for a VM).

So I can make progress now. But the issue is that I have to do this every single time for every add-on!

There are also no logs for this. It just has your standard add on started log when I do supervisor logs in the terminal. So I’m stumped as to what’s happening.

I switched the DB to use MariaDB but this was happening even before that. In fact I had the same issue trying to configure the MariaDB add-on.

Edit:

Here are the exact logs:

ha > supervisor logs --log-level Debug

[...snip...]
22-09-04 21:53:23 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.addons] Add-on 'core_mosquitto' successfully installed
22-09-04 21:53:23 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.addon] Starting Docker add-on homeassistant/amd64-addon-mosquitto with version 6.1.3
22-09-04 21:53:23 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.discovery] Sending discovery to Home Assistant mqtt from core_mosquitto
22-09-04 21:53:23 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.services.modules.mqtt] Set core_mosquitto as service provider for mqtt
22-09-04 21:53:23 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.discovery] Discovery <string> message send

And there’s nothing in the error logs. This is mysterious.

This could also be the browser that shows a cached page.
Try doing a forced refresh or go to another page and then clear all info about the HA page before opening it again.

1 Like

Try “ha supervisor repair” in SSH terminal.

I know this is kind of old, but I just setup a new HA install on proxmox and have noticed the same issue. I definitely think it’s related to browser caching. While using firefox and its containers, I’m able to open a new container and browse the add-ons and everything looks fine. Slightly annoying, but at least it kind indicates that things did install properly and restarting the entire vm isn’t required.

is there any new fix?

There is nothing to fix.
It is working as intended.
The issue is with your browser and not HA.

Browser refresh in Firefox worked for me