Add Shelly 1 into UK Bathroom pull cord fitting?

Hi everyone,
Looking to control my bathroom lights using a Shelly1 incorperated into HA.

Any idea how I would add it to a UK bathroom pull cord fitting?

Would I then be able to control the lights by both HA and also using the Pull Cord?

Any help greatly appreciated

Put is close to the lamp. Where there is also a neutral available.

1 Like

Thanks @sender The pull cord controls 6 led recessed lights. Each light has a live and neutral going into a LED Driver.

Any tips at all?

What tips are you looking for? You need a Live, Neutral, switch input and lamp output (common for 6 led drivers in your case)

Just whether it was possible with what I have, but seems not.

You need to open the outlets for each of the 6 led’s and see how they are wired. The pull chain is simply opening/closing what appears to be the hot side of the circuit. You’re looking to see if one of the led outlet boxes has the wire with hot and neutral feed coming from the breaker box. The hot wire from the breaker will be connected to the black wire going to the pull switch, and the red wire coming back from the switch will be connected to the first (or all 6) led hot wires. Wherever you find that red wire coming back from the switch is where you place the shelly1, assuming it is also the same outlet that has the hot and neutral coming from the breaker. So as sender said, you need to find the single location that has a live and neutral from the breaker, as well as the 2 switch wires and the single hot wire that feeds all 6 led’s. This is likely at either the first led that is closest to the switch, or the one furthest from the switch.

1 Like

Thank you, that all makes sense.
When i’m off work next i’ll have a look and see if I can locate the junction where all the 6 leds go into.

Afternoon all!
Well i’ve been up in the loft today having a look the best I can. From what I can see, 5 of the led driver boxes have one flex cable going into them with the live and neutral (like the pic in my first post).

However one of the led driver boxes has two flex cables going into it. (Sods law it was the most awkard one to get to as its above the bath!)

Now not sure what the second flex cable will be as haven’t turned the electrics off to open it up yet - However would this be what i’m looking for to add in the shelly1?

Do you want it to override the pullcord or work with it as an alternative way to toggle the light?

To work alongside the pullcord ideally

You would need a relay with a common, normally open and normally closed terminals.

The wires in your switch, need to go into L1 and L2 in the switch. Then you need a cable with 3 cores + earth, L1 to NC, L2 to NO, C to C, this will enable you to toggle the switch from the pull cord or home assistant.
Imho this isn’t very smart as home assistant won’t know if it is on or off, because it cannot detect the pullcord state.
I would instead, use the pull cord as a sensor, removing the existing wires from it and wiring it as a binary sensor into the esp or a similar device.
That way you have much more intelligent control.

1 Like

Many thanks for your reply. Makes a lot of sense regarding HA now knowing the status of the lights if the pull cord is used.

In my previous house had zigbee lights controlled via the Hue dimmer switch. I removed the pull cord so not to confuse things.

Based on what you have said, I will forget the use of the pull cord, and see if I can connect the lights up to the spare hue dimmer switch I have via home assistant.

From the pic I posted, does that look like i’ve found the right place to add the shelly1?

Not directly, you need to find where that cable goes to, as the Shelly will need a neutral to work