Add support for all-in-one assistants like GPT-4o

With OpenAI’s announcement of GPT-4o, it’s becoming clear that there are significant benefits to systems that can input and output voice directly, without the need for a STT->Conversation->TTS pipeline. The main benefits are:

• Decreased latency
  • Understanding and expressing emotion
  • Simplicity

While GPT-4o’s audio capabilities are not yet publicly available, there are services you can use right now that offer some of the same benefits (e.g. Vapi). Once open-source models catch up, this will surely become possible locally as well.

I propose we start working on supporting assistants that take voice in and generate voice out, without the need for separate STT and TTS components.

THIS! I have extended OpenAI HACS and love it… just converted to GPT-4o and whew it is FAST! Now want better integrations to this.

Yeah, no thanks:

3 Likes

Not related to GPT-4o’s audio capabilities, as indeed there is currently no mention in openai’s API docs of an endpoint where an audio stream would be accepted (likely through the /v1/chat/completions endpoint similar to images).

However, I thought you might be interested in GPT-4o’s vision capabilities, as this opens up many possibilities, especially regarding automation.

ha-gpt4vision is a service that takes an image and promt and returns GPT’s reponse as a response variable, so it can easily be integrated into automations.

Disclaimer: I’m the author.

2 Likes

Strange, it got it right for me.