Add support for Android Auto

I do noit see it. Anyway I added a Google assistant shortcut, but has an x on it, is not showing on homescreen (see below ABRP app there are 2 commands of google assistant linked to home assistant)

Hi! You can use it, even without a rooted phone, with this App (let’s you install an app with the external url of your Home Assistant, O’m using Nabu Casa):

To install the App in your phone, copy the APK there and execute it (you’ll need to enable “install unknown applications” flag there):

I tried a similar app a few months back but it doesn’t allow you to do anything while the car is in motion. Is this any better

No it does appear to be the case. I can only use it while stationary.

Everyone here in the android app beta? If not might be a good time to join and wait :wink:

2 Likes

Running the beta, looking forward to seeing what can be done with this!!

1 Like

heavenly-joy-jerkins-i-am-so-excited
Omg omg omg now… I have to have patience… Ugh… I have ADHD… Ohh new shiny dashboard…

It works! To de-clutter the screen I opted for input buttons (previously did not use these) to open the front door from the car (triggers conditional automation which only works within the first 5 minutes after arrival of the car to avoid accidental triggering).

I need to find a way around the crappy car api which only reports itself home after disengaging the engine.

Is there an option to add a sensor in the companion app which reports the connection to android auto? Eg a boolean? That way it will be quite simple to overlay the location of the drivers phone with the location of the car. Enabling all sorts of geofencing options based on car location (pre heat home when distance reduced below x km, turn on outside/welcome home lights) etc.

update to the latest beta, this PR was just merged https://github.com/home-assistant/android/pull/3228

1 Like

That’s awesome!

I updated to the beta 2 days ago but the HA app doesn’t show up in android auto settings as an app to add. Hmmm

Same issue initially, it only worked after I connected the phone with the car. Even tried wired vs regular wireless connection just to be sure. And i updated AA to the latest version 8.6 or 8.7 beta have been confirmed to work.

Oh I’m not on the AA beta, and it’s full.