Add support for Odroid M1

Omg, huge work you did … :slight_smile: Thx.

There is a buildroot for it existing already: Releases · skiffos/SkiffOS · GitHub
Could you please check it out, and see if supporting it in HaOS is possible now?

If only the lack of hardware is stopping you, i am willing to hook you up with an Odroid M1 :slight_smile:

Not to give high hopes to anyone, but @agners, told me this is on the roadmap for HaOS 10. We could be expecting development builds for it in a couple of weeks.

thank you, I followed your instruction, worked but has one little catch :slight_smile: on the port 8123 nothing is listening

it looks like this

root@hass:~# docker ps
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                                       COMMAND   CREATED          STATUS         PORTS                                   NAMES
649f0bea1d7f   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-multicast:2022.02.0   "/init"   4 minutes ago    Up 4 minutes                                           hassio_multicast
5277450a281c   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-audio:2022.07.0       "/init"   4 minutes ago    Up 4 minutes                                           hassio_audio
e8b0f438c7ac   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-dns:2022.04.1         "/init"   4 minutes ago    Up 4 minutes                                           hassio_dns
05756808b3e0   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-cli:2022.11.0         "/init"   4 minutes ago    Up 4 minutes                                           hassio_cli
e1df8e682029   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-supervisor:latest     "/init"   8 minutes ago    Up 4 minutes                                           hassio_supervisor
dc52b4e9c913   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-observer:2021.10.0    "/init"   13 minutes ago   Up 4 minutes   0.0.0.0:4357->80/tcp, :::4357->80/tcp   hassio_observer

root@hass:~# ss -tpln
State               Recv-Q              Send-Q                           Local Address:Port                           Peer Address:Port             Process                                                 
LISTEN              0                   128                                    0.0.0.0:5355                                0.0.0.0:*                 users:(("systemd-resolve",pid=282,fd=12))              
LISTEN              0                   128                              127.0.0.53%lo:53                                  0.0.0.0:*                 users:(("systemd-resolve",pid=282,fd=17))              
LISTEN              0                   128                                    0.0.0.0:22                                  0.0.0.0:*                 users:(("sshd",pid=443,fd=3))                          
LISTEN              0                   128                                    0.0.0.0:4357                                0.0.0.0:*                 users:(("docker-proxy",pid=7730,fd=4))                 
LISTEN              0                   128                                       [::]:5355                                   [::]:*                 users:(("systemd-resolve",pid=282,fd=14))              
LISTEN              0                   128                                       [::]:22                                     [::]:*                 users:(("sshd",pid=443,fd=4))                          
LISTEN              0                   128                                       [::]:4357                                   [::]:*                 users:(("docker-proxy",pid=7736,fd=4))                 

from list of devices I tested two

• generic-x86-64
  • odroid-n2

not sure about right one… expect some “odroid

generic-x86-64
odroid-c2
odroid-c4
odroid-n2
odroid-xu
qemuarm
qemuarm-64
qemux86
qemux86-64
raspberrypi
raspberrypi2
raspberrypi3
raspberrypi4
raspberrypi3-64
raspberrypi4-64
tinker
khadas-vim

did I miss something?

Just to add my 2c worth :slight_smile:
Im running Supervised install with Debian 11 and 6.2 kernel. Has been rock solid for a month now. Ive posted about it over on the Odroid forums. Coming from a Supervised based XU4 platform, the Nvme speed improvement is phenomenal!

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?p=364859#p364859

Would be wonderfull if my Odroid M1 can have officially it’s own HASSIO build :slight_smile: let’s cross fingers @agners :wink:

My Home Assistant is currently still running on the Odroid C2. But I am thinking about upgrading to the M1.

I just checked, the M1 support was merged last week:

Dev builds are already available:
https://os-builds.home-assistant.io/

2 Likes

This is awesome!!!

Dose anyone know if you can rerun the HA supervised script to reconfigure the existing docker container for the M1?

I have Odroid C4 and consider moving to M1 model. Could anyone confirm whether M1 performance has increased with newer kernels (initial benchmarks with 4.19 kernels were not so great)?

Im running Supervised install with Debian 11 and 6.2.0 Kernel. Using iotop when running the most complex queries in HA the nvme was reading 33MB per sec. Super fast performance when using the nvme drive.

I have tried to use one of these images, my issue is when I do this:
dd if=<the image> of=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=1M
It writes, I can do an fdisk -l and see two partitions, but I can’t boot to the nvme. Is there some special procedure I need to follow to get petitboot to boot off these images?

This site has debian 11 running on Odroid M1. I use the release to run on Odroid N2, which is documented here. It includes an HA installation script that has been tested on a few platforms. I don’t know if the HA install script has been tried on the M1. There is a pretty active discord channel associated with the release and they are very helpful.

Hello, I had same problems with DNS as described here. I have Odroid M1 with Debian 11 and HA supervised installed. I can see with tcpdump that DNS requests and replies go through eth0 interface but on hassio interface (hassio_dns container is running on this iface) I see only DNS requests, but no response. So when I read here that when it works when you used Debian 10 and that upgrade to 11 - I tried to change iptables used by system from nft to legacy (nft are default in 11) and DNS works! Hope that helps. Petr

From what I have seen, Odroid M1 support is coming in the next OS release.

I think so too, via Add ODROID-M1 support by agners · Pull Request #2387 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub
Not sure though when the next release is going to be?

/edit: likely soon, HA OS v10 will have it, currently at RC3.

Now at rc4, Im kind of torn between the N1 in future and VM now… Im running HA core in unraid docker for ages, but the latest upgrade broke a lot of stuff for me like shelly integration stop working completely, and some older plugins like full screen tables for my Android terminal… so was thinking to move to HAOS proper and reconfigure everything again …

Home Assistant OS 10.0

New board support: Hardkernel ODROID-M1 (only SD and EMMC boot)

3 Likes

I would love to hear if anyone has experience of running HAOS10 on the M1!

I’m looking to move my installation of HAOS from a ‘hobby VM’ on my unraid server to it’s own dedicated appliance and the M1 looks ideal! I nearly pulled the trigger on buying a board last night but have decided and wait to hear of other people’s experiences.

(Although my wife had begrudingly tolerated the introduction of HA in to our house, i know i’d be flailed if all the automations for lights, plugs/blinds etc suddenly stopped working :slight_smile: )

I’m not going back. I’m still running my previous setup, before the support was official, so I installed Debian 10 and went from there. I have drives arriving soon for a second M1 I’ve acquired (for other reasons), which will now become my new HASS using the supported install method :slight_smile:

That is to say - even if the supported method fails or doesn’t work. Just running HA “unsupported” is a treat in itself.

If you do get around to it - I hope the supported setup is easy, alternatively, remember that the Odroid comes with a network boot option that boots from the internet. So Debian 10 & 11 are readily available from there :slight_smile:

Also just realized NVMe boot is not supported by HAOS… That’s a bummer. I’m going to see if I can’t make it work and possibly experience what it is that means it’s unsupported…

2 Likes

Oh look. My disks arrived.

I tried a really straightforward approach where I copied out the .img file from HASS to a usb device, and used the onboard petitboot to dd’ the image to the NVMe. No dice.

1 Like