Add support for Tesla Powerwall

I’m brand new to HA and just setting up HA on a RPi5, and get an error when trying to add the Tesla integration. I have SolarEdge inverters, and 2 Tesla Powerwalls, and can’t get the Tesla integration to connect. I have set a static IP for the Tesla Powerwall, and tried using the last 5 of the password listed in their Control panel in both upper and lower case and it still gives an error. I have the usage module with SolarEdge, but HA does not seem to have an option to use Solar Edge as both coming in from the Grid and Exporting that I can see.

Hi Paul,

Can you check if the installer changed the original password? Can you log in to the actual PW gateway using the web link but with your PW IP: https://192.168.86.61/api/system_status

As with Mark’s post above: Add support for Tesla Powerwall - #405 by markpurcell

Has anyone got a work through how to control the battery now the tesla pro app is now forced?

Ive tried the Teslemety Integration but theres no control other then force charge by moving the slider.

Sorry for the noob questions.

Teslemetry provides all the controls from the API.

What were you missing?

From this menu, How do you force dicharge?

I have set the export to battery and nothing

Tesla don’t have a simple mode to force discharge to grid :frowning:

You can however get it to force discharge by using the TBC hack:

I use this daily to force exports to the grid from my battery when the feed in tariff is high.

hey how did you change your house layout in the app?

This is the default layout if you have gen3 wall connectors, I have two.

Hi Mark!

Thanks for all of your sage advice.

If I have a Teslemetry subscription, do I still need the Tesla Custom Integration to force discharge the battery to the grid using the TBC hack?

Teslemetry allows you to switch the necessary modes for TBC, as does the Tesla Custom Integration.

I would recommend performing the TBC hack from the Tesla app first so you are comfortable with the steps, then try to automate.

It can take 15 minutes for the times to be updated and then 5 minutes after you switch to TBC before the battery starts exporting so you do need some patience. Once it is automated you no longer notice the delays unless you want something to happen quickly.

Many Thanks!

I followed the instructions for setting Peak and off Peak and setting the PW to TOU and I could not get it to discharge to the grid.

It did .1 kW for about a minute but I think that was just leakage.

Waited 2 hours.

Any clues?

I did notice that I have an option in HA that doesn’t appear in the Tesla app. The option is about allowing export.

Does your powerwall normally export to the grid with a VPP or similar settings?

Does your utility actually allow you to export to the grid?

Please explain which steps you did in which order.

Can you show your utility rate plan from the app?

I’m on Amber with Ausgrid in NSW.

I got the PW installed last Wednesday, no VPP yet.

Amber is switching me over to the Ausgrid 2 way Tariff. It may take a few days still.

The steps I took. After I set the peak window and pricing, I enabled Time-Based Control and then just waited.

That great, lots of folks on Amber are using the TBC hack for exports.

The only thing I can think of is your prices could be more dramatic to encourage exports.

You could use my settings from above.

Wait 15-30 minutes for them to take effect.

Switch to TBC mode.

Wait about 5 minutes for the export to start.

Thanks. I will try this out.

On another note, do you use Smart Shift or are you strictly EMHASS?

No Luck tonight either. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I can run both in parallel, but I wasn’t liking the times SmartShift was hitting the Preserve mode during the day so I’m pretty much running only on EMHASS, including battery exports.

With my TBC settings you don’t need to wait for the evening peak, anytime (except 00:00-01:00) that I switch to TBC mode the battery starts exporting.

See if you can generate this type of chart using the history card for your site.

You can see my system switch to TBC (Gray colour on operation mode) from 4:48pm - 5:39pm, during the highest price of the day, and the battery exporting to grid. (15 kW =3x 5 kW)

At 9:31am, during the lowest price of the day, you can see it switch to Backup mode (orange colour) and charging the battery from the grid. (11 kW = 3x 3 .3 kW)

I’ve requested to go on to Smart Shift. I’m hoping that the onboarding process will enable the battery to export (without smart shift). Maybe there’s something on Amber’s side that is preventing this until ss has been enabled.