Add support for the NEEO remote control?

I backed the NEEO remote control a while ago, and they’re now shipping to people. They’ve released their API, so I wondered if anyone had looked at (or were planning to to look at) adding some kind of Home Assistant support/integration?

It would be really useful to be able to activate Home Assistant scripts, scenes etc. from the NEEO, and also activate NEEO recipes from Home Assistant :slight_smile:

Hi Jono,

I also have received my NEEO remote control and it would be indeed very slick to have the NEEO as a remote control for Home Assistant. You have my vote!
If I had time I would explore the API, but alas; work and family and too little time for play :frowning: .

1 Like

Here’s an early version of integration between the NEEO and Home Assistant

I’m going to give it a try later.
1 Like

hey jono,

how about the progress? Is there development? Do you plan, adding a module for HA?

Thanks,

Jakob

I’m not working on it, someone else is.

apologies for the maybe basic answer - but how does one install this.
Just received my controller (currently have harmony hubs working with context pause, and floorplan buttons) - but not sure how to install this to test.

Alexa integration with harmony and HA is pretty good, but this device is incredibly usable, but trying to evaluate the pros / cons
any insights/help would be great :slight_smile:

Found this - i’m not a developer but this could help evolve the current implementation:

turns out the issues i had were based on my nodejs version - 6.x is needed

so i’ve managed to replace one harmony with a NEEO brain and remote - replicating behavior
[key to these remotes success is staying with a single synchronized input else once out of sync nothing works lol]

creating HA switches that change an input select, then add them to each remote recipe - so HA knows what mode remote is in
Created a recipe in NEEO that sends pause to all devices.
Alexa sees recipes as wemo switches - so voice commands work

RIght now no support for Amazon fire tv
no custom icons

Anyone know how you can send a command TO NEEO brain - ie if i have a switch on the floorplan that used to send a harmony command? right now i’m trying to have it turn on one of the wemo switches, but cant discover them - this would complete the loop and allow replacement of harmony.

I’d heard someone talk about this, but hadn’t seen it myself. Hopefully it could be adapted/converted to work withHome Assistant.

To send commands to the NEEO I guess you’d need to look at their API.

1 Like

thanks Jono, just been browsing - and their API is pretty good:

using the Chrome REST client:
https://planet.neeo.com/t/x1trmk/api-examples-to-get-started [Info here]

returned all recipes using:
GET http://<Brain_IP>:3000/v1/api/Recipes

and the cycle is complete - this would be super cool to integrate into HA :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it would! :slightly_smiling_face:

Someone has now created a custom component to show recipes from NEEO in Home Assistant :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sweet - 1 step closer to full integration! Thanks for sharing.

It would be good to add them to the thread if we can, would like to understand if we can beef this up from separate switches to a:
Remote.Neeo

Where you could send a data_template that aligns with the NEEO rest api
Room
Device
Key

[EDIT]:
So on closer inspection the switches stay up to date on the activity. This means you an do a few things (similar to the harmony)

1. Change Input_select based on what is ‘on’ to display what is playing
  2. Automations to pause based on the trigger (a pause switch) and a condition (the input_select option). So now i can say ‘Alexa pause the TV’ and it will send the specific pause command based on what you are using.

NICE

that said, you’ll still need the other set up if you want to see HA device in NEEO :slight_smile:

Yeah, still need to use both at the moment.

Hi folks,
So cant figure out how to create a Neeo equivalent for contextual pause, so welcome any input here. This was my harmony version:

harmony_bedroom_pause:
  sequence:
    - service: remote.send_command
      data_template:
    # using a data template to have if brances for relavant device
    # Always the same entity_id - the harmony hub
        entity_id: remote.bedroom_hub
      # Always the same command - the Pause key
        command: Pause
      # select device based upon the activity being undertaken.
        device: >
          {% if is_state("input_select.living_room_tv_select", "Watch TV") %}
          {% elif is_state("input_select.living_room_tv_select", "Watch Smart TV") %}
          {% endif %}
    - delay: 00:00:05
    - service: input_boolean.turn_off
      entity_id: input_boolean.bedroom_pause

(i used an input_boolean and surfaced it as a switch to Alexa)

in the Neeo world - every pause command is specific to the room/device/key. I have every rest_command needed to send the pause, but cant figure out how to send a specific rest_command based on the input_select

i’m not great at creating new code, and from other examples cant figure out how to envoke a data_template like this:

harmony_bedroom_pause:
  sequence:
    - service: rest_command. {{command}}
      data_template:
        command: >
          {% if is_state("input_select.living_room_tv_select", "Watch TV") %}
            'tv'
          {% elif is_state("input_select.living_room_tv_select", "Watch Smart TV") %}
            'smart_tv'
          {% endif %}

essentially I wanted the {{command}} to be replaced with whatever activity, and then it will call say:

rest_command.tv

Hello,

Any news on this? I can’t see any component yet, any plans?

thank you

+1 on this, I hate harmony!

Has anyone had any luck connecting their Neeo to Home Assistant?

I have a Neeo and would love to trigger some of the events I have (like turn TV on/off) from HA.