Add Thread devices to Home Assistant from Apple Thread Border Router

Hey’ll, I am trying to import ⁠matter enabled devices on my Apple Thread Border Router to HA. I don’t have a TBR hardware on the HA side.

• I have added my Apple TV to HA and have added a ⁠thread, which auto configures itself.
  • I download the the Beta iOS App and on the Thread page and use Send Credentials to Home Assistant (https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/18cq71c/apple_thread_network_with_home_assistant/?rdt=64870). This succeeds. However, still do not see the Matter device under Threads.
  • I have not explicitly Added dataset from TLV (No clue how to get that). I have a Windows machine.
  • However Apple Border Router is Preferred Network.
  • Resetting the Matter device after these steps do not sync it either
  • Matter device themselves individually does show up ready to be configured similar to HomeKit devices that connect over Wifi in Integrations. I followed this earlier, this essentially connected my Matter device to my Wi-Fi router and managed through the manufacture integration.
  • I want control through Threads only and will not prefer another device on the Wi-Fi network.

What am I missing?

If your Apple “MyHome” is your preferred Thread network in HA, then you should be finished Thread networking setup. The import TLV option is for integrating other vendors’ Thread border routers.

It sounds as if you already added Matter-over-Thread devices to Apple Home — great! But these will not automatically appear in HA because they are separate ecosystems that only share a network. Fortunately, Matter devices are “multi-fabric” you can also add those devices to the HA matter controller — so they appear in both ecosystems — but there are several prerequisites. Be sure to read the entire HA documentation for Matter (beta) to correctly setup the server and follow the steps to share a device from another controller (Apple Home).

1 Like