Add wifi to an older roomba

Awesome!!!
Are we going to see the fruit of your labor in some write up somewhere? The wiring, the photo, the codes, the parts you use, etc…

Maybe under here Share your Projects! - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)…?

1 Like

Hi everyone, first of all tnx everyone for all the work that has been put in so far by the community!
I just recently picked-up this and wanted to try it myself. I do have a D1_mini connected to gnd,tx,rx with a pnp and I do have established some communication. I used the esphome.yaml example and ESPHomeRoombaComponent.h from Real-Time-Kodi’s github.
it took some time to actually get data from the roomba. not sure if my PNP transistor was wrongly connected or other issues.
the D1_mini does seem to struggle with a lot of ‘error’ messages.
component <unknown> took a long time for an operation (202 ms).
And it doesn’t listen to commands. (the locate button doesn’t appear to do anything).
I need to get a buck converter because it is now still connected to my computer, so trying to have it move around is difficult with the short usb cable :slight_smile:

Has someone already tried building in commands in the code to just send the roomba around like a toy? forward, reverse and so on?
Also wondering if the numbers I see for the battery will be normalized somewhat. I did put in a new battery not long ago, but the roomba was never used with that battery anymore. So the numbers jump from 10% full to 400% full every few minutes.

Sorry, missed this one.

Yeah I think @davidecavestro and @bremby have been using their buttons to control roomba around like a toy.

Check out Add wifi to an older roomba - #178 by davidecavestro and below, for the buttons in the interface.
You should be able to use @davidecavestro’s code.

About errors in the data:
I’m not sure how to prevent that.
I’ve tried adding filters in ESPHome previously, but that also does not work flawlessly.
I’m also not sure if it’s a measuring error by Roomba or data corruption on the serial interface.
Too lazy to figure that out :sweat_smile: